1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to make an online game

im totally new to this kinda thing and was wondering whether anyone could give me any simple easy help on how to make an online game

i have never made one before and don't really know where to start

so some help would be appreciated

thanks
  3. Contributing User

1. Learn C++.
    2. Stay in school.
    3. Learn Alegbra.
    4. Learn Geometry and Physics.
    5. Never give up on Math and learn it til your bones break.
    6. Without math like what I said above, your gaming dream is whats in the toliet after you sit on it for a couple of hours.

Any there is no simple online game or whatever. Its hard work. Nothing in the programming world is *simple*. Especially online gaming. You need money, people, resources, knowledge.

God we should have a rule that says.

1. Don't know a language.
    2. Wants to create a mmorpg.
    3. Simple online.
    4. I do what with the what what now?
    5. Never get good grades in math.
    6. MMORPG
    7. n00b.

If your any of that don't bother asking how to create the next World of Warcraft game. Or any MMORPG. Cause you will be laughed at like crazy. I hate these really beginner people who wanan know how to create a MMORPG game and don't even know what their first language would be. God, if I had a nickel everytime I heard one say I wanna create a online, mmorpg game without knowing anything. I would be a billionaire

Comments on this post

• crownjewel82 disagrees
    Last edited by Kiryn; April 9th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    [img]
    http://r2.fodey.com/1922b06d7e4284cce9657003fdf330220.1.gif
    [/img]

5. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by Kiryn
    1. Learn C++.
    2. Stay in school.
    3. Learn Alegbra.
    4. Learn Geometry and Physics.
    5. Never give up on Math and learn it til your bones break.
    6. Without math like what I said above, your gaming dream is whats in the toliet after you sit on it for a couple of hours.
    First off C++ isn't the only language out there. It's a good one, but not the only one. Hell it might not even be the best one. Did the OP say anything about quitting school. While math is important, logic is far more important. I know people who are great at Algebra, Geometry and Physics who don't know the first thing about logic, algorithms, and other aspects of discrete math. Additionally creativity and organization are important skills to have.
    Any there is no simple online game or whatever. Its hard work. Nothing in the programming world is *simple*. Especially online gaming. You need money, people, resources, knowledge.
    You are aware that there is more than one kind of online game. Why not give the OP a chance to clarify what he's after. Not everyone that wants to make a game wants to make the next Everquest.

God we should have a rule that says.

1. Don't know a language.
    2. Wants to create a mmorpg.
    3. Simple online.
    4. I do what with the what what now?
    5. Never get good grades in math.
    6. MMORPG
    7. n00b.

If your any of that don't bother asking how to create the next World of Warcraft game. Or any MMORPG. Cause you will be laughed at like crazy. I hate these really beginner people who wanan know how to create a MMORPG game and don't even know what their first language would be. God, if I had a nickel everytime I heard one say I wanna create a online, mmorpg game without knowing anything. I would be a billionaire
    You must have learned everything you know by osmosis. That's the only way to explain it because anyone who ever experienced being a beginner knows that the first step to learning is learning what you don't know. You don't have to be a jerk just because someone asks a question. And if you really hate beginners maybe you should find some place else to be.

Comments on this post

• tagmanadvance agrees : I think he is in Junior High maybe?
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  7. No Profile Picture

yer how did u lot learn how to do this if u wer never begginers?

i get A* in most of my maths test and im predicted and A* and my grandads a maths teacher
    also know more than my physics teacher in some areas of physics

and im not gonna quit school

i was meaning simple as in nothing really really hard
    i was expecting something difficult as i thought it is like learning another language

i am looking at that C++ language that you have said
  9. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I don't know C++, but I would start by Gooling "free c++ 2d game engine"**.

Wow, first result. *clicky*
    SpriteCraft looks pretty good, lets try it shall we?
    *makes a game with SpriteCraft*

Now that we have our game, lets make a network version. Pretend you made a bomberman game. I would make a separate thread for accepting and creating network connections.
    *makes thread*

In java, I would have it read text or something like that from a socket, not sure about c++. But basically, instead of AI controlled people, hava that "read text" from the network thread control those little bombermen, and when you make a movement, send that to all the other little bombermen.

And now you have a simple network/online game.

**I wouldn't make a 3d game, just too much extra work for one person to do.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  11. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

First off I'd like to let you know that this is an English language forum with an international readership. We appreciate it if you do your best to use correct spelling and grammar as this helps improve the legibility of your posts and reduces the difficulty of translating. Also, It gives us the impression that you take your question seriously and encourages us to take you seriously as well.

Secondly as I'm sure you've heard, anything worth doing is worth doing right. With that in mind I advise you to invest time in learning not only the language but programming logic, math and physics. I also advise that you start small. Building simple classic games like tetris, pong, breakaway, pac man, asteroids, etc can help you understand fundamental concepts of animation and strategy.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Creating Online games in Flash

Ok So You want to create an Online Game.

Ok fine, just forget about c++ and Simply start Learning Macromedia Flash and Action Scripting.

Learning Flash is easy if you follow step by step guides or tutorials available online. There are even tutorials for Flash games if you search on google.

Flash Action Scripting can serve the programming part of a game and Animation can serve as a graphic part of it.

And we all know publishing flash Online is a piece of cake. Further connecting your flash to some database is the next step for you to concentrate.

I think it's a simple solution that you may be looking for.
    If you are not a very good programmer, don't worry Action Scripting is easy. Just give it some time to learn.

Good Luck,
    Amol

Comments on this post

• C++ FaNaTiC disagrees : Wow, read the first post said that he wanted to leanr C++!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by AmolCodergeek82
    Ok So You want to create an Online Game.

Ok fine, just forget about c++ and Simply start Learning Macromedia Flash and Action Scripting.

Amol
    You need the Flash programming environment from Adobe, though, don't you? And that is extremely expensive.

Though, if I am wrong, please let me know!

~*Miaow*~
    Last edited by Miaow; April 28th, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
  17. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Was there really a need to quote the whole thing. No rule against it, but its a personal pet peeve when you are replying to the last post.... Anyway, I have heard there are free versions of flash dev stuff (from third parties). No links though, sorry.

Comments on this post

• Miaow agrees : You're right. I edited it down. :)
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  19. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

I think Game Maker is a good option for 2D based games. Its version 5.3 is very stable for 2D games, and has a very simple interface that lets you make games very easily.

The last versions 6.0 or above include a 3D interface, but i recommend start first by the 2D, because the 3D engine requires advanced programming.

As I've said, you can learn to make games first by the predefined actions, and then introduce yourself in gml (Game Maker Language) a rather simple programming language for what you'll need mainly two things: logic and effort (none can be learned without this).

Many forums are related to Game Maker, just Google it! and have fun....
  21. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

No. That's the way to make crappy games. You want to make something you can be proud of, you do it yourself, without your nice Game Maker Super Ultra Easy Version 1337.

Decide a genre, learn a language, develop very good logic and networking abilities, and just have fun with the game and have fun making the game. Until you're making something serious, that's all you need to do.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo