1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Online strategy game

Hello, I'm working on creating my own browser strategy game, but even though Im good with creating game systems and mechanics , I must admit that I am not much of a programmer, so I was wondering if you could help me out with a couple of things I am pondering about and got my mind stuck on:

- I want to create a big world that would potentially hold about 50k players, which I plan to place in 5 different sectors. I also plan to expand the number of sectors in the future.
    Do you think my idea is possible from a technical point of view?

- If I have max 10k players per server, having total of 5 servers, would that be stable, and if traffic is big, what do I do to make things go smoother?

- I also want players from one sector (server) to be able to attack players from another. If this is possible, what would I usually need to make this work?

- Also (if it's possible), would I need an extra server that would process only "battles between different sectors" to ease the work of the remaining servers?

- What type of server, and server architecture would you recommend based on the numbers I've used above?
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks to all reponses in advance. Also, I will appreciate any advice you wish to give me, even if it's not related to my questions! I hope I get my game up and running soon. Cheers!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

- I want to create a big world that would potentially hold about 50k players, which I plan to place in 5 different sectors. I also plan to expand the number of sectors in the future.
    Do you think my idea is possible from a technical point of view?
    HTTP is remarkably scalable (but not remarkably efficient). If you throw enough hardware at it, a browser based game could host millions of players.

- If I have max 10k players per server, having total of 5 servers, would that be stable, and if traffic is big, what do I do to make things go smoother?
    The total number of players matters far less than the number of concurrently active players. A single server could *probably* support 50-300 concurrent players, but it depends greatly on a huge number of factors; most dominantly the performance of your server hardware and the efficiency of your game code. If you have more traffic you would have to add more servers (ie: set up a cluster).

- I also want players from one sector (server) to be able to attack players from another. If this is possible, what would I usually need to make this work?
    Yes it's possible, you would need to program it to make it work.

- Also (if it's possible), would I need an extra server that would process only "battles between different sectors" to ease the work of the remaining servers?
    Depends on how it's programmed.

- What type of server, and server architecture would you recommend based on the numbers I've used above?
    At this point your software architecture matters a lot more than your hardware architecture.

Comments on this post

• jamespayne agrees
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for your response and clarity.
  7. No Profile Picture

thank you
  9. No Profile Picture

Game development

Hi partner,

Mind Riders facilitates the web development sector from the last 4 years; the team of expertise that facilitates our Web Arena is more then 5-6 years of experience and probably the best at their work. We currently working on technology stack in the web platform.

We can discuss if you have any project or if you are interested please reply me, hoping to do long term business with you.

Regards
    Lakshmikanth

+9477 366 8687
    skype - laksh000

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo