Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Panda3D] Toontown World - help needed

Hello, and greetings.

My name is Reese (username Voarsh on the forums). I would just like to say that the Toontown legacy is a great one - there is plenty of room for groups to form and focus on different areas of gameplay, and the audience will ultimately decide which game they prefer, for what reasons.

With that in mind, we'd like to work on Toon customizability and the general fighting experience. What I mean by this is the ability to fight higher Cog levels in different regions, to introduce a storyline that Disney did not continue, while it wouldn't be the version Disney released, or even planned, it would be our version to share with the Toontown community.

Should anyone want to help with Alpha and Beta testing please PM me, and we can sort that out. If you'd like to contribute to the project please get in touch.

I am the project manager for this project, and would be overseeing the project specification.

We are a small group looking for people who wish to create a great Toontown Private Server that focuses on level customizability, content packs, character customisation and designing new locations that fit in with the continued story writing of the game.
    We are currently in Alpha. We need people who have a passion for the Disney Toontown Online game to join us. This is voluntary, we do not make any money from the game. We hope this experience will help improve your Panda3D knowledge and Python skills.Here's the job roles we currently need filled:

We need:

2 more coders/programmers to help implement game bug fixes and support the release of new features against a specification - must be familiar with how Windows works, and Python

2 web developers for designing our official project website that will allow user registration, a forum and an area to promote the project

2 music composers to create Toontastic music as to not use the Toontown legacy's tracks

2 server developers to keep the gaming environment smooth and operational

4 graphical artists that are familiar with Python and .BAM file formats that will help assist creating concepts for the 3D modellers

4 3d modellers that are familiar with Python and .BAM file formats

We have several things in our path stopping us from entering Beta. If you have passion for the project and think you can contribute please get in touch.

As we make changes and develop the game we will post updates on this thread, as well as answer any question.

Warm wishes,
    Reese
  3. No Profile Picture

*BUMP*
    Anyone interested?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not really interested in this project, because for the first-part I don't understand what you're saying because I don't know what is Toontown anyway.

With that in mind, we'd like to work on Toon customizability and the general fighting experience. What I mean by this is the ability to fight higher Cog levels in different regions, to introduce a storyline that Disney did not continue, while it wouldn't be the version Disney released, or even planned, it would be our version to share with the Toontown community.
    I think you should explain what you're trying to do here, because I don't understand what you're planning to do here, except for the fact that you're trying to create " a great Toontown Private Server". If you guys are trying to make a game I would surely like to help but I think you should explain what is Toontown??, though it looks like there's a big community around it but I'm sure that many programmers don't know anything about it.

And I've some questions:

2 more coders/programmers to help implement game bug fixes and support the release of new features against a specification - must be familiar with how Windows works, and Python
    Does that mean, that game/server will be on windows only? Will it be implemented solely in Python or any other language is required In other words, what programming language(s) would be used for this project?

This is voluntary, we do not make any money from the game.
    Does that mean its a non-profit project? If yes then what is the licensing for it, is it open-source/public-domain or freeware?

I hope that I'm not asking too much of questions here, but still there are some ambiguities and doubts in your description, I hope that I'm not troubling you much .

Thanks.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi. Let me try and answer some of your questions.

Originally Posted by hexman
    I'm not really interested in this project, because for the first-part I don't understand what you're saying because I don't know what is Toontown anyway.
    ------
    I had hoped to find people who once played the game, to want to contribute. Having passion for the game would help especially if you liked it (if you're doing it for free)
    -----

I think you should explain what you're trying to do here, because I don't understand what you're planning to do here, except for the fact that you're trying to create " a great Toontown Private Server". If you guys are trying to make a game I would surely like to help but I think you should explain what is Toontown??, though it looks like there's a big community around it but I'm sure that many programmers don't know anything about it.
    ------

We're trying to fix a game owned by Disney that closed on the 19th of September 2013, played by thousands.

Toontown is a place of cartoon fun. Characters are cartoon-like animals (cat, dog, horse, mouse, pig, etc) and they have a town called Toontown (Central). The way Toons get their strength is through laughter (Laff Points).

The evil robot Cogs that roam the streets of Toontown can't take a joke, and try and invade Toontown. Toons use jokes and pies and throw them at the Cogs for fun and that is a Cogs weakness.

--
    This is just a small description (basic) of what Toontown is.

------
    And I've some questions:

Does that mean, that game/server will be on windows only? Will it be implemented solely in Python or any other language is required In other words, what programming language(s) would be used for this project?

----------
    The game runs on Windows, it is a Windows program (server side). The game is written in Python, but I believe it can use C#

------

Does that mean its a non-profit project? If yes then what is the licensing for it, is it open-source/public-domain or freeware?

------
    This will be privately owned, but we will not charge for the game, we will not make any profits from the game.

Any code we produce will belong to the 'team' who made it, but it will not be released to the public to use it for themselves.

------
    I hope that I'm not asking too much of questions here, but still there are some ambiguities and doubts in your description, I hope that I'm not troubling you much .

---
    That is fine, I am glad you are asking, but if you don't know anything about the game it will be hard to be passionate about it. I suggest you look up some gameplay videos on YouTube and come back and let me know what you think.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I guess you're right, since I don't know much about the game then I don't think that I can put my work into this project and there are some other incompatibilities such as the language (I'm a Java program, I know C and lisp but I've never programmed in a platform-specific language like C# and I'll be learning Perl now, not Python).

Thanks for the reply anyway.
  11. No Profile Picture

Well, I guess you're right, since I don't know much about the game then I don't think that I can put my work into this project and there are some other incompatibilities such as the language (I'm a Java program, I know C and lisp but I've never programmed in a platform-specific language like C# and I'll be learning Perl now, not Python).

Thanks for the reply anyway.
    Thanks for letting me know.

If there are any Python developers with a passion for the Toontown Legacy, please get in touch.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by voarsh
    Thanks for letting me know.

If there are any Python developers with a passion for the Toontown Legacy, please get in touch.
    I would certainly recommend this project to fellow developers interested in Python and in game development. In fact this is a cool project, you should've gotten a number of developers interested in it but this forum is not a very good one. Especially this section, it doesn't get too many members or posts, (you can see that in the list of posts, there are very few recent ones, and the recent ones have not more than 2 posts). I think you should look up somewhere else, I'm sure that many people would be really interested in this project.

Good luck on your search, man.

Thanks.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi Hexman,

I've tried multiple developer forums. None seem to get anyone interested.

This forum/section seemed like the place to post in case I get banned, or the topic removed.

It has been very hard finding any developers, I've tried for 2-3 weeks now....
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Hexman,

This forum/section seemed like the place to post in case I get banned, or the topic removed.

post a link to the game source code plz.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi zedeneye1,

Can I email it to you?

(Am I allowed to sent it to you via PM?)
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by zedeneye1
    post a link to the game source code plz.
    Hello zedeneye1,

The OP has already said that the development is closed-source and freeware, its not open-source. So if you're asking for source-code then you'll need to be in the development team, I believe.

Any code we produce will belong to the 'team' who made it, but it will not be released to the public to use it for themselves.
    The OP also said that the game was coded in Python+C# and was made for Windows. I think you said that you were a C programmer (some time before), so if you take the code to understand it and start a derived project on it then you would've to learn both Python and C# and as the OP has said, "you'll need to know how Windows works", I believe that means the knowledge of win32 api.I'm not saying that you should not take the source code, that's just my humble opinion .

And the game's still in alpha, if you get the source code then I don't think you'll be able to run the game properly. So, I would like to ask the reason for the source code?

Thanks.
    Last edited by hexman; November 6th, 2014 at 04:30 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Hexman,

Yeah, this forum does not attract many members especially this section. But I'm surprised that you didn't get any developers in other forums too. Forums are slowly dying out, there are many forums out there which don't get any posts at all. Websites like the stackexchange network and social networking sites like Facebook have slowly taken over but are not even half as good as the forums. The Stackexchange sites are for Q/A only, if you post a "need-developers" post there then there's a high chance that it'll get locked. People are slowly backing away from the forums and are attaching to "quicker" and "easy" alternatives like SO, which provide one click answer to their questions.

I also face this problem sometimes but most of the time I do get some developers interested in my project (though in GitHub only, in sourceforge I don't get many developers at all).
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello zedeneye1,

The OP has already said that the development is closed-source and freeware, its not open-source. So if you're asking for source-code then you'll need to be in the development team, I believe.

The OP also said that the game was coded in Python+C# and was made for Windows. I think you said that you were a C programmer (some time before), so if you take the code to understand it and start a derived project on it then you would've to learn both Python and C# and as the OP has said, "you'll need to know how Windows works", I believe that means the knowledge of win32 api.I'm not saying that you should not take the source code, that's just my humble opinion .

And the game's still in alpha, if you get the source code then I don't think you'll be able to run the game properly. So, I would like to ask the reason for the source code?

Thanks.
    The game works.
    It's in Alpha, but playable.

Disney's OTP was never officially released, ASTRON is a alternative. You can compile that and tweak it at your hearts content.

By source code I gave him a copy of the actual game files which are purely in Python.
  27. No Profile Picture

Yeah, this forum does not attract many members especially this section. But I'm surprised that you didn't get any developers in other forums too. Forums are slowly dying out, there are many forums out there which don't get any posts at all. Websites like the stackexchange network and social networking sites like Facebook have slowly taken over but are not even half as good as the forums. The Stackexchange sites are for Q/A only, if you post a "need-developers" post there then there's a high chance that it'll get locked. People are slowly backing away from the forums and are attaching to "quicker" and "easy" alternatives like SO, which provide one click answer to their questions.

I also face this problem sometimes but most of the time I do get some developers interested in my project (though in GitHub only, in sourceforge I don't get many developers at all).
    It's such a shame, forums are great!

Social networking can't do what forums do,meet new people, create in-depth analysis or reporting for a topic. You can't meet new people to ask for help, or to give help (because you're already friends!) unless you're group posting. (Ah ha)
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello zedeneye1,

Thanks.
    I thought there would be atleast some C in there....there was none what so ever lol....

I have read some python btw...Used to make cool stuff on blender and try to look at some python scripts in it...its not that hard a language actually....
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo