1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Please advise a book

I would like to do some game development in my spare time. Ultimately I would like to write a racing simulator, but want to start slow and work on it a bit.

I prefer OpenGl, so that it can work on linux machines as well. Can you please recommend a book for me to get started? I'm a php developer and I have good programming experience.
    I enjoy my daily dose of sql injection
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

So what languages other than PHP do you know?
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

As u already mentioned you are familiar with programming languages, so its not difficult for you to do game development. While browsing I came across this book "Computer Graphics Principles and Practice", Foley, Van Dam, Feiner, Hughes.
    This was the first book for 3d graphics and even though it is dated, it is still a good solid reference. hope it could help you in developing game.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

What book on game development would you recommend as not a reference but more of a starter guide for newbies?
  9. No Profile Picture

I really liked "Course Technology - Game Programming All In One, 2Nd Ed - 2004". It does use the Allegro Engine which I like but you may choose to leave it behind as you get more experienced. It is a good place to start.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Thanks. Where would I get that? A regular book store? Or do I have to order it.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by bnhynum
    I really liked "Course Technology - Game Programming All In One, 2Nd Ed - 2004". It does use the Allegro Engine which I like but you may choose to leave it behind as you get more experienced. It is a good place to start.
    I would agree with starting off with allegro as i have recently started game programming too and i found open gl much harder to understand than allegro.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo