1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pogamut 2 - Integrated development environment for creating own bots for UT2004

Hi all.

We announce that there's a brand new, free toolkit for development of bots in Unreal Tournament 2004.
    You can use it for non-commercial use for free. We've called it Pogamut 2 and it is a plug-in for Netbeans. Bots can be developed in Java or scripting languages (Python is supported at the moment). You can download all-in-one installer (40MB) of the software from our webpage:

http://artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz/pogamut

The platform provides integrated development environment (IDE) - code editor, log viewers, property manager, server manager, project manager, manual agent control. It contains library of classes for agent/bot construction - methods for agent's memory, inventory, commands, navigation. For quick start you may study the set of example bots that is included. The set ranges ranges from simple inventory picker to hunter, which chase his pray.

Bots are connected to the server via network using new Gamebots[GB] (older application (http://gamebots.planetunreal.gamespy.com/docapi.html) was for connection of bots to Unreal Tournament [1999]) which were ported to new Unreal Tournament 2004 and vastly extended and debugged. Therefore you can run it on two computers - visualize what bots do in real on one and look what they think of in IDE. New GB features include recording replay, remote server control, auto trace, configuration of bot - invulnerability, etc.

For the logic of bot you can connect your own tool, use rule-based logic or POSH - http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/ai/AmonI-proj.html - reactive planner.
    We involved as well rule-based engine Drools (http://www.jboss.com/products/rules ) for running experiments. So you can test yours bot more thoroughly and even create scenerios that you desire to run several times.

Contributions, patches, bug reports or just success stories are welcome.

You can find forum, FAQ, tutorials, documentation, mantis bug report system, mailing list and other community support on our web.

The platform is in the last phase of development. So there should be just minor bugs and full functionality.

Best regards.
    --
    Michal Bida
    Ondrej Burkert
    Jakub Gemrot
    Jan Havlicek
    Rudolf Kadlec

Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
    mobile, Jakub Gemrot: +420 606 768 646

Platform requirements: UT2004, Netbeans 5.5.1, Java JRE 1.6

Direct download page:
    http://artemis.ms.mff.cuni.cz/pogamut/tiki-index.php?page=Download
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't like this.

First, bots in games are cheat devices. Very rarely they're not, which is the only reason I'm not reporting this as spam - never played UT. Please explain how your bots are not for cheaters.

Second, this is for the development of your own games, not stuff for other games. Once again, not reporting as spam because the toolkit seems to be all about development...

Third, looking at your post count, it's as if you posted 5 random posts on dead threads (but you did contribute) so you could post a link.

Really, you might want to reply to explain. Giving you the benefit of the doubt for now though.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi gimp,

thanks for not reporting this as spam and allowing me to explain.

I agree with you on the first thought. Yes it's a spam. But you've figured it out

1) it's toolkit == development (little more academic I admit)
    2) it's about games (bot's development)
    3) yes I did not post just random replies but have tried to contribute

Now let me explain further.

If you have ever created a platform, you would know that without community there is no future. That's why we're trying to attract as many people to it as we can. That's why we are little bit spamming the forums that are related to development / games / UT. We believe that it's not ordinary spam, because we've tried hard to create platform where it's easy to develop your own bot.

As you're speaking - bot's are about cheating. I bet you're from industry where this is obvious and really widly accepted fact.

But why is that? Because up-to-date everything else in game engine is taking tremendous amount of power not allowing you to write a true AI with as less cheating as possible.

Now look at all those x-core that is comming down the way. I believe that the game engines will move to multi-threaded (simply because the single core nowadays is less powerful then latest P4, afaik) and as they utilize such a power there is going to be more and more space for AI algorithms that may finaly creates more self-aware agents that won't use cheating. They will be processing what the player is doing and will be able to adapt to his or her style of play that will ultimately leads to more fun.

Okey, now where are you going to devise an algorithm for doing that? In the middle of creating a game? I doubt, no time for that, producers are stepping on your neck... That's where my second believe comes (and our platform goes) - you need a platform where everybody could try their ideas about that and let the world choose, which model is better.

Yes I know it's not as good as that - simply because we're doing it in UT2004, what about other engines? Well if you develop something that is not tight with engine (does not use big cheats and basicly we're not allowing that with our platform) then your ideas will be transfereble everywhere.

Those are not only my thought but also of the team,
    anyway - thanks for letting me answer you before you mark me as spam :-)

Kind regards,

Jakub Gemrot
  7. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This is an interesting case.

Seeing as this is real programming, real dev, there's no call to delete the thread.
    On the other hand, we don't really promote cheating... there's enough websites that do that anyways.

I think the best solution is to lock this thread - you'll have the link and an explanation but nobody can post here (they can do that on your forums anyways).

Hopefully, viper will agree with me and lock this thread since he's the mod.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you again gimp, locking this thread is perfectly okey. As you have said users can write to our forum.

Kind regards,

Jakub Gemrot

Comments on this post

• gimp agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo