Results: Which Programming-Language you prefer to program a game? 

Voters
23 You may not vote on this poll

• Java
    8  34.78%
  • C#(Sharp)
    1  4.35%
  • C/C++
    3  13.04%
  • Python
    5  21.74%
  • Unity or any other SDK
    3  13.04%
  • Other (please specify)
    3  13.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb POLL: Which programming language you love to program a Game?

I've created this thread to know which lang you guys love to program a game. After I got the answer to my question ("Which programming language is good for game-dev"). But I was curious, that what programming language you guys prefer for game-dev, is it your favorite lang or the one you find best for games?.

If you use any other language (other than specified on the poll) then please post about it.

Happy Programming

Thanks.
    Last edited by hexman; May 6th, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For me, I prefer java, always. I really love java .
  5. No Profile Picture

I like android to develop a game.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Promatics
    I like android to develop a game.
    I cannot completely understand your statement, what do you mean by "android"? I know its a platform. I think I've read that Google uses its own variant of java, anyways there must be a programming language that you would program your game in? Like HTML5, Flash, JavaScript, and these would be literally cross-platform too (since almost every modern-mobile has a web-browser). If I'm wrong or missing something then please enlighten me.

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

I definitely prefer Java and using HTML5 to define the structure, etc.
  11. No Profile Picture

Still stuck with C# and XNA and still no idea why Microsoft had to kill it.

Afraid of Unity I guess!!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IKaeseProt
    Still stuck with C# and XNA and still no idea why Microsoft had to kill it.

Afraid of Unity I guess!!
    Yeah, XNA was a good platform. Though I've never used C#, many of my friends still use it for game-development and many guys here on devshed recommended me. I think Java is good for Game-Dev since its cross-platform, it has a reputation for slow execution though but its getting better as new JVMs are being released and now I guess its equivalent to the speed of Delphi. Java has good graphics libraries like Slick2d and lwjgl, and the java2d itself, I don't know why but it seems slick is dead, its documentation is still that of Java SE6 and it has not been updated in the past few years. I personally used to use Java2d but now I'm out of game development, I prefer to independently develop OpenSource software instead of games which require a lot of work and a large number of developers and is not usually worth it.

Thanks.
  15. No Profile Picture

I use Just Basic.
  17. No Profile Picture

I did J2ME, so Java
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

C++ is your best choice. It's a relatively easy language to understand, and it is the primarily used language for gamemaking.
  21. No Profile Picture

it would really depend on what platform you are trying to create. c/c++ are harder but suitable for hardcore games.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by janissantony
    it would really depend on what platform you are trying to create. c/c++ are harder but suitable for hardcore games.
    Java coupled with some 3rd party libraries can create games at the level of cpp (mostly) even more so now, since jvms are getting faster after each release. Some even claim that its even at the level of c++, so speed is not much of a problem. Even using only the standard libraries, games can be created.

C++ is the best one out there for games though but its much harder to learn and manage.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

it would really depend on what platform you are trying to create.
    C++ is used mostly for PC based games, I think its possible to create a game for any architecture or os with some minor tweaks, but I'm not sure. But as for java, it can be used to create games on any platform with a jvm. JavaME is mostly a mess right now and I don't think there are any support for mainstream java in android (though google uses java, most libraries are absent in android iirc), objective c can be used to create games for apple based devices but thats way off c++ but as objective c is a strict superset of c, I guess anyone with some knowledge of c can use it.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I did J2ME, so Java
    On what platform you are developing right now? Looking at the situation of JavaME, I don't think there are good supports for it on mobile platforms. Simbian was dropped by nokia (now aquired by microsoft), blackberry is getting negligble share of market and android does not support j2me.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by erikko
    C plus and Java would be a popular choice but for the challenge, I'd go for Python.
    Creating a game with Python would be much easier than any of these languages, though its not really good for serious game development (as in 3D games not 2D ones) as its slow and requires the Python runtime (OS specific) to run python programs (but I believe there are tools like py2exe albeit with platform limitations). My only reason for not using Python is that I don't like it much, I try to use Java for almost every kind of software development but yes there are some limitations, there's always been, in every language. Besides I haven't learned much of Python to be in a position to criticize it so its just my humble opinion.

Seeing the current situation, Python's a fair choice, its development time will be much faster (but execution much slower) so it uses your time much more efficiently than any other language in the field, and the machine's time less efficiently (seeing the processing speed of current machines I highly doubt that's an issue). If I had to program a game in Python, I would design a rougelike. Firstly because, its much easier to program a rougelike than a graphic based game; secondly, Python would be good for a rougelike because the requirement of less design and its able to organize and reuse code efficiently (regarding the crap-load of the code that you've to write in a rougelike, if I were using C++ I would've been running into multiple dead ends and had to rethink the design itself).

Perhaps the best programming language for creating a game (or at-least a Rougelike game) is the one you know best. And I really think thats totally up to you.

Games have been created in various languages, from Lisp (see Emacs-Lisp games) to Pascal (see www. afterwarp.net/) to even Assembly (ever played one of those NES games). Though there are much less games in python iirc but that doesn't matter much, if it has the potential then why not use it?

For those guys who want a tutorial on pygame, its here (thanks to Al Sweigart for the book): inventwithpython.com/makinggames.pdf
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo