1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post Programming Language for Game-Development

Hey Guys!

I'm looking for a Programming-Language that is used in Game-Development. Though I don't know much about Game-Development, whether they're created using SDKs or Directly Programmed. Currently I know Java but in Java, there is not much graphics support. So:

# I'd like to know if a good programming-language is there for Game-Developing

# Please list all the languages that are currently used in Game-Development.

# Is there a Game-Programming tutorial for Java, if you know then please post the link.

// If you know an answer then please reply!
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Searching on Google will give a lot of different Java tutorials, for example like this one:
    http://www.javaworld.com/article/2076832/java-se/3d-graphics-programming-in-java--part-1--java-3d.html

Regarding choice of language, it might be an interest for you to look what Unity can offer. It has a free version - although with some limitations of course.

I also recommend you take a look at the sticky post "Game Development Resources", if you haven't done so already.

Comments on this post

• hexman agrees : Thanks for answering, man!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Well, Thanks for the tip man, I'll look forward to unity. I think JAVA will be good enough to create 2D Games, as for 3D I'll use unity.
  7. No Profile Picture

Dude you must be kidding. Java is an excellent and easy language to make simple games. (Where do you think android games came from?) So you probably should invest some time in learning how to develop games in Java. I can help you get started if you'd like and we could learn and code together.

9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by EagleGamer
    Dude you must be kidding. Java is an excellent and easy language to make simple games.
    Opinions vary.
    I hate Java. With a passion. I've had to write a JVM, I know how it works under the hood. I am also sick and tired of Sun changing things. MIDP, PJAVA, JDK(Think of a number, double it, add your phone number and divide by a million)

As a learning tool, ok I have to give it some kudos, but as a real gaming language...... nahhhhh

(Where do you think android games came from?)
    Ermm, never written an Android game in Java, and I've written dozens. Proper games are written in c++. If you went to a company and said "Hey I'm an experienced Android coder" and could only work in Java. You wouldn't get a job.

Casual game you could probably get away with Java, but not for anything even half way serious.

If you want to learn to code, ok learning in Java isn't a bad idea. It is object orientated, it's slow so you have to write decent code to get a game to work, dev systems are free.

Maybe it would be okay, but for me start in c++ and do it right.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by EagleGamer
    Dude you must be kidding. Java is an excellent and easy language to make simple games. (Where do you think android games came from?) So you probably should invest some time in learning how to develop games in Java. I can help you get started if you'd like and we could learn and code together.

Well, you're right, but you can't port Java to Android. Its not a very good language, as you'll have problems distributing your program, the users will need to have JVM to use your application, some JDK versions are incompatible with others. But overall its a pretty good language, its syntax is similar to C++ and C# after you learn JAVA you'll not face any problems learning C++ or C#. I think Java is a very good language after all.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ermm, never written an Android game in Java, and I've written dozens. Proper games are written in c++. If you went to a company and said "Hey I'm an experienced Android coder" and could only work in Java. You wouldn't get a job.

Casual game you could probably get away with Java, but not for anything even half way serious.

If you want to learn to code, ok learning in Java isn't a bad idea. It is object orientated, it's slow so you have to write decent code to get a game to work, dev systems are free.

Maybe it would be okay, but for me start in c++ and do it right.
    I think you should think again about C++, not knowing a thing about Game-Development and giving a head start to C++ !!, I don't think its a good idea, I agree that learning Java will not get you a job, but who gives a f*ck about that, If I wanted a job I would have learnt C right away!!. And programming languages were not meant for things like 3D-Games (Ok I agree that most of the good games are written in C++ but It'll take too much time to create one single game), but there exist many Software and SDKs out there, for small-scale 2D games there is Game-Maker Pro ($99 Actually!!) and for 3D there is Unity as mentioned earlier by MrFrujin. You can only write the skeleton of the game (how will all the element work, how will they interact, etc), you'll still need models, textures and other things.

So I think its better to stay away from Game-Development for a while.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hexman
    And programming languages were not meant for things like 3D-Games
    Sorry, way off base there. What do you think is used to write 3D games?

The Force?

Every single game in the world is written in a programming language.

So I think you must have meant to say something different here.

you'll still need models, textures and other things.
    True, very true. It's the major problem I face as I don't have an in house graphic artist.

However, this is nothing to do with programming. Assets are assets and whatever language you work in, you will need them.

When it comes to the original post "Programming language for Game-Development", assets are irrelevant.

So I think its better to stay away from Game-Development for a while.
    Rubbish. Get in there. Do something, anything, and you will learn a lot. Find a subject you are really interested in and try and make a game about it.

If you fail to create anything, at least you will have learnt more about a subject you are interested in.

I know a hell of a lot about the way our climate operates, how clouds form , how jet streams are formed. Not because I studied it in college, I wanted to generate physically correct cloud maps for planets so I read up on climatology and wrote test code. The end result wasn't great, but I learnt a hell of a lot.

You can write games in any language, one of my favorite games of all time was Starflight, and it was written in Forth!

It's just a lot harder to write games in some languages. I wouldn't advise you to use Forth (even though I love it), I would laugh at anyone who tried to start writing games in assembler.

If all you want to do is have a hobby, actually XNA is probably the best starting place. C# is very powerful and easy to learn, there are lot's of tutorials out there.

It's a dead platform though, Microsoft dropped it.

Comments on this post

• hexman agrees : Thanks a lot! It was very helpful.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Sorry, way off base there. What do you think is used to write 3D games?

The Force?

Every single game in the world is written in a programming language.
    Well this is where you've got me wrong, man, I know that you can create a game from any good programming language (when I was learning Python from MIT Online, the last assignment was to create Tetris!!), But you can only create the skeleton of a game, even with powerful languages like C++, from what you'll create graphics or models, from the ASCII or command-line?!

Rubbish. Get in there. Do something, anything, and you will learn a lot. Find a subject you are really interested in and try and make a game about it.

If you fail to create anything, at least you will have learnt more about a subject you are interested in.
    You're right at this point, yes I know that I'll learn a lot even if I can't create a good game, but I want to learn something thats worth learning.

You can write games in any language.
    Yes that's absolutely right, and that's what I'm tryin' to do! (but how will ya create a game in VB! ).

one of my favorite games of all time was Starflight, and it was written in Forth!
    Well Starflight was a good game but its an old game (see here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...light-Arth.png ) and about Forth, I think learning it will be tough, as its Stack-Oriented and I never coded in a SOP and its syntax is similar to LISP (something I could never learn).

the best starting place. C# is very powerful and easy to learn, there are lot's of tutorials out there.

It's a dead platform though, Microsoft dropped it.
    What do you mean that C# is dead?!! (because someone just advised me to learn it! see here: http://forums.devshed.com/visual-bas...et-958584.html ), is it not included anymore in Visual Studio (like Visual Basic 6.0)??!!!
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hexman
    What do you mean that C# is dead?!! (because someone just advised me to learn it! see here:
    C# is not dead, XNA is.

C# is the language, XNA is a graphic engine that allows you to get into games quickly.

It gives you a framework, asset importers, standard classes for drawing 2D and 3D assets, easy shader support.

You can run the final game on the xbox 360, windows pc, or even windows phones.

But Microsoft have dropped it because it doesn't fit with windows 8.... apparently
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey guys!

Thank you for all your support (especially MrFrujin and Stainless for their advice and link to tuts). I've decided to go with JAVA as its a good Programming-Language, with good OOP support, and 'good enough' graphics for game-development and the best of all its the language that I've already learnt and still learning (though I know little about the graphics or GUI programming). And as I said, I do not intend to create a big 3D game or something but I just only want to learn.

Thanks!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Whoa, its still on the front page! I can't believe every Game-Developer who's a member of devshed has left the forum (as it apparently looks). C'mon guys, spark a new discussion, every "latest" thread in Game-Dev has got 0-4 replies at the most. I wonder what happened .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo