1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Which programming language is better for game development?

Please suggest me some programming languages which is suitable for game development.
    thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm seeing this type of question after a very long time, Oh well then.

I will not discuss about the in-depth capabilities of each language here. Look, Game-Development doesn't depend on which language you program in, it should be fun to play, that's all that matters (almost). You should choose a language in which you've a got a good experience, each have their own advantages. If you've no prior programming experience, then you should go for the language which you find the best for yourself, But do not head start programming a game, remember to start from a small code and practice it. As they say, read more, write a little, if you start programming a game right away then you'll be stuck between multiple bugs/errors in your code, but that's a different story, I'm just implying that learn to program before you create something. There are some languages which have edge in game-development like C++, Java and Python.

I'll discuss only Java and Python:

Java is a very good language for game-development, in fact, I find it the best language for the purpose. Yet opinions vary, its indeed a good language. It has got good support for graphics and all, multiple libraries(Slick2d, java3d) and best-in-all tools (Eclipse). It has yet few problems:

Slow in Run-Time: As you know that java is a Interpreted&Compiled language but its much more complex than that. The compiler reads the source code, converts it into cross platform Bytecode (not the Machinecode) and when the Bytecode is executed, the compiler reads the bytecode interprets the code line-by-line. This system gives it some good cross-platform support and edge over most of the Interpreted language but the fact is that it is yet much SLOWER than compiled languages. It may give you some trouble while developing LARGE games but its okay for now.

Little/No Support for Mobile-Platforms: I will not be going into the details about this (I don't have much time) but you can find the answer here:
    # No support for mobile-platforms: The BIGGEST problem of java "cross-platform" bytecode is, that it does not runs in Mobile-platforms like Android, IOS and others. Though Android uses a variant of java it lacks most of the libraries like Swing and java3d, and it also has a different program structure, and IOS uses Objective-C which is far from the syntax of Java.
    A similar question, to be honest, was asked by me two-months ago, and the guys at Dev-Shed gave me all the answers. I can't explain all that to you but you can find the thread here: Programming Language for Game-Development

Python: As I don't have much experience (and little time right now), I can't really explain it to you, But here is detailed discussion about the Game-Development capabilities of Java and Python: Java vs Python - For Beginners - GameDev.net

I hope that I helped you, sorry for giving incomplete/vague answer but I really don't have time for this today.

Thanks.

Try your best to master it. You can learn a lot of programming concepts while you are working with Java that will carry over to any other language you pick up.
  5. No Profile Picture

I think this answer is very useful for me and for this question.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Promatics
    I think this answer is very useful for me and for this question.
    Thanks man, I hope I helped, though I've got something wrong there:
    Little/No Support for Mobile-Platforms: I will not be going into the details about this (I don't have much time) but you can find the answer here:
    Though there IS little support for Mobile-Platforms like Android (the only popular one that supported java was Symbian which nokia removed some time ago), there is a way to program Mobile-Apps, which are multi-platform (I'm not joking) in nature using GWT and PhoneGap, You can find all the details here: Building Mobile Applications with Java - Free Download eBook - pdf (it is a free ebook).

Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry, I double posted but this site is running very slow.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo