1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Question] What do i need to learn to open .dat files on typical mmorpg clients?

As topic states, is there any language or stuff that i need to learn to open .dat files? I'm mainly trying to open .dat files for mmorpg client for editing of UI, extracting/changing music that is in .dat format or to disable curse filters that filters more normal word than curses -.-
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

There is no special format for a dat file. Itís just a file, with any arbitrary data in it. .dat (suggesting data) could be anything.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

so i need to do stuff like reverse engineering and etc. to get those files?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes, you need to reverse engineer their data format. Or at least to the extent that you can get what you want out of it.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture

ok, so it is basically something i wont be able to do unless i start learning more programming stuff lol.

Btw, thanks for the help Oler1s.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo