1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[ReQ] help, video game making.

Okay im completely new at this, I don't know anything about coding or nothing. Could someone please give me a link that will take me to learning about these? I know the sticky, but I went to the site and they just explained to start out, they didn't have actually the information to begin.

Could someone help me out please?
  3. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by DeadFable
    Okay im completely new at this, I don't know anything about coding or nothing. Could someone please give me a link that will take me to learning about these? I know the sticky, but I went to the site and they just explained to start out, they didn't have actually the information to begin.

Could someone help me out please?
    Hi,

welcome to Devshed.

so where do you start? Do you want to actually code a game, design the logic of how the game works or modify an existing game? Each of these has different answers.

Presuming you want to code a game you will have to decide what kind of game you want to write, ie online, single player, LAN etc. This will partially decide what programing language you will need to learn.

You may find that, for games similar to what you buy in the shops you will have to work in a team as the amount to work in a game like that is immense. C++ is used a lot in game programming examples and in general books about game programming. Java programming allows you to write online/platform independent games but at the cost of speed.

Bit of a rambling, but hopefully this has given you a little insight. Check the sticky towards the end, it has a link to a book written by a guy called Chris Crawford, he's written numerous popular games and is wotrh a little read.

Hope this helped some
    Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo