1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Simple Texted Based Game

hey everyone

i have just started learning php and i was wanting to make a simple texted based game to start out with.

i have got a plan and things all plotted out.

i was just looking to see what kind of info i could come up with and see if php would be good to make a texted based game with.

plz feel free to share you comments and what ever else you have to say.
  3. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

If you want to make it work in a browser any server side language should work, if you know PHP already then ya use it.

If it's not for the browser, PHP can work but another language may be easier.
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

Here's some PHP Game sites - some are open source scripts so you can see how they work etc.

http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/Games/

http://www.php-editors.com/games.php
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sure, PHP is fine for a text-based game, especially for the oh-so-popular text-based RPGs. I think most pet sites are written in PHP, as are most turn-based games.

Comments on this post

• chadsmith729 agrees : Hi Gimp!
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP is a decent choice for a language if its web browser based, im currently working on my own web page based RTS in php/mysql which currently can be played, ive put about 3 months into it so far, and php has been able to do (with light javascript) everything that i would pretty much need, though after you become more familiar with PHP i would recommend getting some javascript or AJAX down to help

Comments on this post

• chadsmith729 agrees : Yep, that's what I would do.
  11. I fail at spelling
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Yeah, doing something with AJAX is pretty much what you gotta do. That way it looks streamless.

Now, if you want something that REALLY screams use Flash with PHP .... that way you can track everything and have the great look to it.
    I am working now with Symfony2, Twig, Doctrine, Composer, Assetic, and HTML5. Enjoying doing what I do everyday!
  13. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I fail to see the point of a text-based game + flash...
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo