1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What to study in prep for writing a physics engine?

I'm planning on going through the resources Chris Hecker recommends in his article Physics References (a quick Google search should provide the URL), however that article (from what I gather) was written in around 1997: 14 years ago.

I suspect that there have been new developments since the article was put together. Do you guys have any additions/changes to the list he gives? For example, changing the order in which a topic is studied, a new and better book for a particular topic in the list, new topics to add to the study list (with accompanying book recommendations if you can), etc.

I like the fact that he discusses each set of books and the pros/cons. If you guys could provide similar notes with your recommendations, as well as when I should study that topic (right after reading the Calculus book? After reading everything else in that list?) and what I will be able to do in my physics engine after I study it (like his "milestones"), it would really help Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Studying, using an existing open-source physics engine should be a good start to writing a physics engine. By that you will learn what is going under the hood. Then you'll decide to try to make your own engine.
  5. No Profile Picture

One thing I will mention though, is that some drivers put this in to solve the problems of instability "side note" code in the archive, and it can be hard to find items that specifically details of the issue and how they solve it (in other words you are not likely to find it on Google or a book), so keep that in mind.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo