1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I test a game for someone?

I'd like to go through the process of testing a game, preferably using a system that a larger studio might use. Maybe I'll even find an important bug!

Basically, I want to be able to say I've tested a game. Is there any way I can do that?
  3. No Profile Picture

This link might be helpful to you http://inderpsingh.blogspot.in/2010/02/how-to-test-game-software.html
  5. Contributing User

Hi! ergalthema

My game "Yildiz-Online" is under Alpha test now. You can try it out.

Check this thread for more details: http://forums.devshed.com/game-development-141/play-the-alpha-version-of-yildiz-online-935495.html
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks! Unfortunately, I only have my Mac with me and I don't have Windows installed on it.
  9. No Profile Picture

What about hiring a game tester......?????
    It can be a good option to find out bugs and to repair it.....
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NickJhnsn
    What about hiring a game tester......?????
    It can be a good option to find out bugs and to repair it.....
    This thread is about me wanting to test a game...
    I want experience testing a game.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ergalthema
    This thread is about me wanting to test a game...
    I want experience testing a game.
    I was just giving a suggestion.

And if you want to take experience, you can assist a tester while he testing your game..
    It can be nice and much better for you if you assist someone with experience rather than doing it by your own for the first time...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

First,You should Play that game which you designed and then find the problems...
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by manumehra1987
    First,You should Play that game which you designed and then find the problems...
    I guess I wasn't clear... - I don't design games. I just want to test one.
  19. No Profile Picture

I don't work in a big game studio so I cannot say this for sure, but I don't think there is a certain written-in-stone system on how to playtest games if that is what you are talking about.

In my opinion though, even when playtesting games (that is, just playing them and taking notes) does require some eye for certain things, so having even some experience of developing games by yourself would be a big plus.

I think the most important things when testing a game is:

- Try to go through all of the features of the game and do things in an unexpected way, if the game tells you to do something, try to do the opposite. It might just be that there is a bug lurking out there somewhere.

- Pay attention to the controls and the difficulty curve. When certain people work long and repeatedly on a game, certain things start to feel the easy and natural way to them. Someone who hasn't touched the game before can see things in a different way and give constructive feedback to those who are already "blind" to the flaws in the difficulty curve, control scheme or things like that.

- Often the developers of a game are concentrated on the technical side of things. However the purpose of games is to work well, but also entertain. List out things that you think could make the game more fun. Programmers are usually concerned about the technical limitations and such, you as a play tester shouldn't be though. It's possible that you can come up with new and innovative ideas to improve the gameplay that aren't that hard to implement after all.

-----

I am afraid that I cannot do much to help you in your original problem. That is, helping you to be able to say you have tested (a professional) game. However, if you want to help me out, you can try a game of mine that is under development. You can check it out in this topic .

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo