Thread: Tool for RPG

Page 5 of 9 First ... 34567 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am trying to give you a real example of a character so this may take me a day or two to get the tables tweaked and the data entered correctly (kinda tough w/o a good front end screen). The character will not be complete, but the combat part should be good. I will also send you the specs for the db that I am using just in case that is needed in your hard-coding.

I am excited to see how all this looks and the code behind it!
  3. Contributing User

Files sent via E-mail. It is far from a complete character, but it should be enough to get you going. I will continue to work on new tables (weapons, etc), as well as finishing the sub-skills and fulling flushing out the test character.

As I see it, at deployment time, all the non-character tables would be distributed with data, and the character-based tables would be empty (or maybe have a few characters as examples).
  5. Contributing User

I installed MySQL Workbench (open source edition), then Imported the .sql file you sent me. I am not sure how to set up an actual MySQL server with this, though. The help index indicates that I should use the Database menu, but all the options there are greyed out on my computer. Have you had any luck figuring this part out?
  7. Contributing User

Actually, I have not figured out exactly WHAT Workbench is/does. I installed the MySQL GUI (Admin, Query, System Tray, installs the actual DB, etc) and it does everything I need short of a end-user interface (which is where your tool comes in).

I am close to finishing off the other tables. There are a lot, but about half are control tables which will not change much (once the data is hammered in). A bunch are simply control tables so that we have tight data (i.e. you have to pick an M16 from the db, not just type in "M16"). Some tables will never have more than a few rows, but I want to do it that way over hard coding so that we can re-use/adjust the data anywhere w/o having to tweak a bunch of hard-coded places (assuming we even remember where they all are).
  9. Contributing User

I need to somehow take that .sql file and plug it into a MySQL Server to create the database for my program to connect to. I don't have any problems with the code for database connection and reading/writing, it is just getting the database set up based on the .sql file. I'll look for that MySQL GUI - that's probably what I need.
  11. Contributing User

MySQL GUI has a bunch of nice tools. Run the Admin tool, login, click on the Restore option (on the left), and load it up. Very easy. Let me know if I can help. I used to use this tool several years ago and it is nice. The only other tool I would recommend (if you have PHP running) is the PHP Admin tool. It does a few things that the MySQL admin does not. Between the two, you can do just about anything.
  13. Contributing User

Ok, got it working now, and I've started making the windows. Any recommendations for how the windows should be set up? Just going off the database design, I came up with the following:

Main Window:
    1) Table containing a list of characters
    2) Buttons for "View / Edit / Delete character"
    3) Button for "Add character"

View Character Window:
    1) Text tags containing character stats
    2) Button for "Edit Stats"
    3) Table containing character skills
    4) Buttons for "View Skill"
    5) Button for "Delete Character"

Add / Edit Character Window:
    1) Text fields for editing character stats
    2) Table containing character skills
    4) Buttons for "Remove skill"
    5) Button for "Add skill"
    6) Button for "Done"

View Skill Window:
    1) Text tags containing skill stats
    2) Table containing character sub skills
    3) Buttons for "View Sub Skill"

View Sub Skill Window:
    1) Text tags containing character sub skill stats

Let me know if I should set the windows up differently than this, or if you have any suggestions.
    Last edited by paulscode; November 3rd, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
  15. Contributing User

We need to keep this as simple as possible, yet at the same time cover everything that could be needed. That being said, I was thinking of a main page with several buttons, each of which offers more buttons.
    1) Core Tables/Setup
    2) Character setup
    3) Combat

1.1) Access table (3 col control table - might not give access)
    1.2) Manufacturers (2 col control table)
    1.3) Firearm Types (2 col control table)
    1.4) Firearm Hands (2 col control table)
    1.5) Ammo Types (3 col control table)
    1.6.1) AmmoHdr (3 col control table)
    1.6.2) AmmoDtl (12+ col control table)
    1.7) Firearms (20+ col table)
    1.8) Armor (not done yet)
    1.9) melee weapons (not done yet)
    1.10) Other equipment (cars, radios, surveillance gear, etc.)

2.1) characters
    2.1.1) character skills
    2.1.2) character subskills
    2.2) character firearms
    2.3) character armor
    2.4) character melee weapons
    2.5) character equipment

3.1) combat table/tool

In general, the table need to be built in the order I have listed because they build on each other. They can of course be updated later as more info is needed, but to start, they should be built in these orders.

I was envisioning everything in the first group as having their own screen except ArmorHDR/ArmorDTL where the details are some type of column-like display. An example of the AmmoHDR would be 9mm, with AmmoDTLs being the stats for AP, Ball, Hollowpoint, etc.

Character maint would be done on a single frame but with a different tab for each sub group. The only exception to this would be Skills and subskills which work similar to the AmmoHDR and AmmoDTL mentioned in the prior paragraph.

Combat will come later and is 100% reliant on the other tables being built.

I am trying to to get 100% of the tables designed with at least one or two rows. I hope this is not scaring you off, but I wanted to get the full scope of this.
  17. Contributing User

Oops! I missed 2.

1.11 skills
    1.12 subskills
  19. Contributing User

I appologize for how long I am taking to finish the database / windows stuff. Work has been crazy lately, but I'll try and get around to finishing everything this weekend.

I do have a couple of questions/comments about the various windows you listed:

1) There are a lot of things here that I haven't seen in the database tables you sent me, so for now I will only work on the windows linked to tables that I know about now. The others can be added in later as the database takes shape and you email me more updates.

2) From your description of skills/subskills, character skills/subskills, and ArmorHDR/ArmorDTL, each of those pairs respectively will be in a "column" window (i.e. 1.6.1 will be the AmoHDR/AmoDtl column window, and there will be no 1.6.2 window). Is this assumption correct?

3) For window (2.1) characters, that should have a column of characters and their individual stats, each with a button for window (2.1.1) character skills/subskills. They should also each have a "Remove character" button, and there should be an overall "Add character" button. Does this sound correct? I'm going to design this window first, and post a screenshot to see if it looks good to you. Then I can base the design of all the other "column" windows off this one.

4) Do you have an image that I could work with in Photoshop to make a window background? I think having a background image would add a much more aesthetic appeal to the program without requiring too much work.

Oh, one more question: What size did you have in mind to use for the windows (640X480, 800X600, etc)?
    Last edited by paulscode; November 5th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
  21. Contributing User

No need to apologize. I have kids, a wife, and a farm. Plus a full time job. I understand!

#1 - I will try to get most of the other tables to you tonight.

#2 - yes, they are in column type relationships, except skills are also under Talent Bases (3 levels). Each sub-level would be indented slightly to indicate the parent/child relationship. The image below shows a snippet of a characters skills. 2 Talent bases (Creative and Reflex). Under Reflex, there are 3 skills (Aim, Hand to Hand & Unarmed Hand to Hand). Under the Aim Skill, there are 3 subskills. Lots of text, but it should be accurate.

Here is a full description of how Talent Bases/Skills/Subskills work:
    There are 9 Talent Bases.
    Each Skill is associated with a Talent Base.
    Skills are further defined by Subskills.

Each Talent Base provides a slight bonus based on the character’s attributes (i.e. a calculation), generally just a few points. This gives them a slight chance at succeeding at a task in that area if they do not have the specific skill needed.
    Each Skill has a Base value indicating their skill level. This Base value plus the associated Talent Base bonus is the total % chance of success.
    Each Subskill has a Base value indicating their skill level. Add the Talent Base bonus + parent skill level + subskill level to determine their % chance of success.

In the example below, the character’s calculated Reflex Talent Base bonus is 5%.
    Their base Aim Skill is 65% + the calculated Reflex Talent Base bonus 5% for an adjusted value of 70%.
    Their Longarm Subskill is 30% + their Aim Skill 65% + Reflex Talent Base bonus 5% for a total of 100%.

Thus, their unmodified chance to hit with a firearm using the Longarm Subskill is 100%.
    Their chance to hit with a Bow (an Aim Subskill that they do not have) is just the Base Talent (5%) + Aim Skill (65) for a total of 70%.
    Any Reflexive action taken for which the character has no skill, would still have the Talent Base bonus (5%) chance of success.

#3 - I was thinking we could have a single "window" for the character, with "tabs" based on the type of info instead of buttons going to different windows. I guess there would have to be some type of lookup/add feature that is before this character maint window.

#4 - Actually, I do not have an image to use at this time. Maybe some of the images from the rule book (v2 - v1 was quickly replaced and is the standard). If you have other ideas, that is cool too. The theme of the game is a techno-thriller. Anything from hostage rescue to merc work in South America, corp. espionage to assisting gov agencies (foreign and domestic). As games go, it is meant to be VERY realistic. No Monty Hall stuff. Injury and death are easy and fast.

Window size will likely need to be big due to the combat stuff.
  23. Contributing User

Excellent explanation, thanks! I am starting to get an idea for how this program is supposed to look.

As for the background image, sounds like something related to modern urban warfare or spies is what we are looking for. How about something like a faded green night vision image of an urban sniper in a gas mask?
  25. Contributing User

I found a PDF of the game. If you like, I can get that to you so you can actually see the rules.
  27. Contributing User

The PDF would be great.

I can definitely work with those images you sent me. I'll see what I can come up with for a background.
  29. Contributing User

How difficult would this be to work locally off a MySQL db or an Access db? Use some type of control file that determines which db to use? I am guessing that this control file would also need to store db location, login/pw, and other application level control. If not too hard, I would like to have this as an option. The one problem I see is that I have used column names of "name" in a few of the MySQL tables, but that is a reserve word in Access (and thus would need to be changed before you get too far along). If this is doable, I would need table and column names that are compliant on both dbs.

Thoughts or concerns?
Page 5 of 9 First ... 34567 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo