1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What tools do I need to make a simple 3d game?

This is something I want to do for educational purposes. I have 3d max, and I would be comfortable coding in almost any language. If I design a simple level and a simple character (say a sphere). What tools do i need to make that sphere move around the level based on user controls??

cheers.
  3. Contributing User

A simple 3D program of that type could be created in virtually any programming language, and since you are comfortable coding in a lot of languages, that gives you quite a few options. Personally, I am a little partial to Java (I like the fact that it has cross-platform compatibility and is used for both stand-alone applications or web-based applets). If you do decide to go Java, I recommend the jPCT 3D engine, http://www.jpct.net. It is simple to use, well supported, and has methods that make it easy to import models exported from Max. If you are looking for something a little bit lower-level, I recommend the Lightweight Java Game Library, http://www.lwjgl.org, which provides a nice interface to OpenGL through Java.
  5. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

It is also my biased preference to use java, but language aside, I would pick a third-party 3D library/engine and go from there. I would look for something that uses OpenGL, with built-in collision detection. If you start from scratch you are bound to end up frustrated and confused, so see if there is template code available and start butchering it.
    Last edited by tagmanadvance; February 24th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Something I found recently is the JMonkeyEngine, also for Java. It has quite a lot of demo code and a tutorial for a first small game.

For other languages it's more or less the same. You need some kind of library for graphics, sound, input and importing your models and stuff.

Other libraries / engines are: OGRE, Torque, CrystalSpace, CUBE... there are tons of them

Comments on this post

• tagmanadvance agrees : jME is win!
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  9. No Profile Picture

Game Maker is a good tool to use ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo