1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Totally new and a few questions

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the development process.
    First off I heard one of the options to code your game is C (++)
    What exactly is it? and where do you need IDEs for? (like VS)
    And one of my most important questions; How many programs do I need to work with to make an complete final game as a solitary amateur-wannagetbetter game designer (and can you name good names that are free)? My goal is to make a living out of it at pro game studio.

edit: also I need a IDE that compiles for the big machines like pc instead of pocket pc. I wanna do pc games or console games . Sory many questions. Or even better: for all platforms.

All help appreciated!
  3. /usr/bin/drinking
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Personally, I would not restrict myself to learning any 1 paticular programing language.
    Also, depending on what you enjoy doing and have a talent for, don't just look at programing if your final goal is to work at pro game studio. There would be music, graphics, programing, design, testing etc. In all major game projects there are many people involved to get it done.

BTW, good luck with your final goal, you'll only be competing with a couple of million other guys/gals wanting to do the same think.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Muzza
    Personally, I would not restrict myself to learning any 1 paticular programing language.
    Also, depending on what you enjoy doing and have a talent for, don't just look at programing if your final goal is to work at pro game studio. There would be music, graphics, programing, design, testing etc. In all major game projects there are many people involved to get it done.

BTW, good luck with your final goal, you'll only be competing with a couple of million other guys/gals wanting to do the same think.
    Thanx! i'll keep on competing to my goal
    I know it's not only programming, but I want to go trough every phase of making a game and see what I like most. And some coding skill can be handy.
  7. No Profile Picture

Okay first problem which has to do with confusion around the use of the program. I would post a screenshot but because i'm new the forum won't allow me so i'll try to explain. When I run this program after succesfully compiling it it should have a window that say hello blablabla. From a tutorial I follow. But when I execute it shows a dos prompt very fast and then nothing. I have no clue
    I have no idea if I typed in the right window too.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

First off I heard one of the options to code your game is C (++)
    What exactly is it? and where do you need IDEs for? (like VS)
    C and C++ are programming languages. In creating your game, you will use one or more programming languages. IDEs are tools used by programmers. IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment, which is what the name says. Programmers use a number of tools, like compilers, debuggers, text editors, profilers, and so on. IDEs make it easy for programmers to develop by tying together these tools.

How many programs do I need to work with to make an complete final game as a solitary amateur-wannagetbetter game designer
    That's the wrong question to ask. You don't have some sort of count off system, where you can say, I worked on X,Y, and Z and thus I am ready.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  11. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by 19bk87
    Okay first problem which has to do with confusion around the use of the program. I would post a screenshot but because i'm new the forum won't allow me so i'll try to explain. When I run this program after succesfully compiling it it should have a window that say hello blablabla. From a tutorial I follow. But when I execute it shows a dos prompt very fast and then nothing. I have no clue
    I have no idea if I typed in the right window too.
    to make the program stay open you would have to insert something that can pause the program.. e.g. let the program wait for the user to pres a key.

or you could open a dos prompt (start-> run-> type "cmd" -> press ok) and run your program form that place.
  13. No Profile Picture

Okay I need something like iostream or something but I can't find it in the include folder, please take a look at this site that's where I try to learn. cplusplus.com
    If somebody has a better site to learn c++ please give me the url
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What IDE are you using, if any? I recommend Bloodshed's Dev-CPP as a good, free c++ IDE. Simple to use too, and it installs all the standard libs by default. Just choose to let it install its own compiler for maximum simplicity. Also, if you are developing for windows,
    Code:
    ...//your program here
    system("pause");
    return 0;
    will stop the program at the end until you press a key.
  17. No Profile Picture

@spyder
    I used bloodshed but I couldn't figure out how to include that iostream library, but I am doing a tutorial now and they use visual studio, microsoft so I use that now (good choice? I think it's free) I'm really excited about learning C++, it's fun to do. And I visited a game school today and they said they can use students who know things about c++, woohoo

edit: (it's not that I give up if something isn't clear like I had in bloodshed but I had to switch anyway. Now I know you just have to type #include <iostream> lolz)
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

19bk87, u'd decide what game want to make, & then will got answer what implements are necessary for it. learn just learn is..... heh, i will not be say this word))

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo