1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best virtual worlds software?

heya, what is the best virtual world software for creating "Second Life" style application easily?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Second Life is its own application. Content is created largely "in world" but you can use CAD programs and things which create BVH files for animation, etc.

Now you want to replicate that? Easily? Good luck. The development cycle from what I understood began ten years before they actually launched it. The infrastructure is enormous (about 2,500 servers). While I've mostly just gone in to look around and try to build some things, people who actually play the game regularly have an endless list of bugs and annoyances that still need to be resolved.

Second Life has its own scripting language (LSL) and without that and it's unique but crude 'in world' CAD are what the 'residents' used to build most of what is there. From what I've seen a lot of it really is quite impressive and I'm amazed it actually works as well as it does.

So an application like Second Life would essentially be its own CAD/renderer/script language interpreter too.

So the answer to your question basically is: there is no such thing that can easily whip together something like Second Life.

Maybe you wish to think smaller?
    Last edited by medialint; July 16th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

World of Warcraft!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo