1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whats Needed for a MMOTBS?

Whats Needed for creating a MMO/turn based strategy WebBrowser Game?
    heres whats i got so far for pics / game detail halowar
    Pretty Basic so far.

Ive got a actuall website supporting databse/php/ all that create stuff and was wondering if any one could point me towards a program or something that could help in this process and OR u know

Whats Needed for creating a MMO/turn based strategy WebBrowser Game?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Avid lithomancer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

There's no program that will create the game for you. You should learn PHP&MySQL languages, and then you can start programming browser based game. Alternatively, you can learn Flash/Java.
    I closed your site at the same second i opened it... i don't wanna kill my eyes trying to read black text on dark gray background.
  5. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Knowledge of PHP, MySQL, (obviously) HTML with CSS being a plus, and the ability to draw players to your game. That would be the easiest thing to do. In fact, it should only take a week or two to create a fairly stable alpha release...
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by gimp
    Knowledge of PHP, MySQL, (obviously) HTML with CSS being a plus, and the ability to draw players to your game. That would be the easiest thing to do. In fact, it should only take a week or two to create a fairly stable alpha release...
    Are you serious? only 2 weeks to create a turnbased online game? thats cool...well obviously you have to know all that before hand
  9. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Originally Posted by swattkidd
    Are you serious? only 2 weeks to create a turnbased online game? thats cool...well obviously you have to know all that before hand
    Two weeks for an alpha release

This means it will take a month (at least) until you can go to beta, because alpha is where all your players will be running into bugs faster than rabbits make kids.

The ability to draw players to your game is the hardest thing to do.

Comments on this post

• Hugh of Borg agrees
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

You know you have an alpha version when you say: "Ok the interface is still ugly but i can access the most basic functions of the game. Granted the they only work from time to time but you can see what i'm aiming to do..."

Getting from the alpha to a beta version till take a lot more time. And getting from the beta to a complete version... Well. Depeding on the scope of the game this _can_ take years.

But don't be discuraged. Many browser games are still beta version and can be played well. So once your game can be played reasonably well you can start promoting it to get players.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  13. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Originally Posted by Hugh of Borg
    You know you have an alpha version when you say: "Ok the interface is still ugly but i can access the most basic functions of the game. Granted the they only work from time to time but you can see what i'm aiming to do..."

Getting from the alpha to a beta version till take a lot more time. And getting from the beta to a complete version... Well. Depeding on the scope of the game this _can_ take years.

But don't be discuraged. Many browser games are still beta version and can be played well. So once your game can be played reasonably well you can start promoting it to get players.
    More than that, nowadays calling a finished program "beta" for years seems to be the style; I believe gmail is beta and it works fine, and I believe google was beta for years.

More than that, it seems that many people are attracted to beta versions, because they believe that they're part of something new and interesting.

Therefore, you can take your sweet time going from beta to the final release.
    Last edited by gimp; September 18th, 2006 at 07:00 PM.

Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo