1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

XNA - whats all of your thoughts on it?

I got XNA GSE when it was released bout a week or so ago. Since then, I've found it nothing but fun. Its a very simple API to learn and very straightforward. For people like myself who don't have the patience to use "real" gamedev API's, its a godsend to finally have some fun just messing around with gamedev.
    It may be "Big Bad Microsoft" that released it, and it may be no substitute for DirectX/OpenGL... but its definately worth a look and try.
    what do you all think about XNA?
  3. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by flypp3r
    I got XNA GSE when it was released bout a week or so ago. Since then, I've found it nothing but fun. Its a very simple API to learn and very straightforward. For people like myself who don't have the patience to use "real" gamedev API's, its a godsend to finally have some fun just messing around with gamedev.
    It may be "Big Bad Microsoft" that released it, and it may be no substitute for DirectX/OpenGL... but its definately worth a look and try.
    what do you all think about XNA?
    Personally I think its a great idea that opens up game development to a wider grouping of enthusiasts. It will also give people who wouldn't mess with a "real" game dev kit the confidence to do so. Similar (ish) software was released on the amiga & was a big hit. You wont create halflife 3 with it but it could be very useful for profiling a game idea quickly before putting the money into fully developing it.

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  5. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Is it something like the visual basic of game engines? I haven't checked it out yet, going to have to look into it sometime.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Viper_SB
    Is it something like the visual basic of game engines? I haven't checked it out yet, going to have to look into it sometime.
    nah, its a VERY simple/straightforward managed API for gamedev. Theres a bunch of people who never programmed before and are downloading it to see they need to do create everything by hand, but for those of us who know how to program in the slightest and have a basic understanding of OOP- its as simple as it gets for DirectX/gamedev.
    Also- very interesting is its one of the first console SDK's out in ages thats free (well, theres the $100/year fee right now) and requires no different hardware at all, and requires very little if not any changing of your windows version to port it to xb360
  9. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by flypp3r
    nah, its a VERY simple/straightforward managed API for gamedev. Theres a bunch of people who never programmed before and are downloading it to see they need to do create everything by hand, but for those of us who know how to program in the slightest and have a basic understanding of OOP- its as simple as it gets for DirectX/gamedev.
    Also- very interesting is its one of the first console SDK's out in ages thats free (well, theres the $100/year fee right now) and requires no different hardware at all, and requires very little if not any changing of your windows version to port it to xb360
    Very, very like AMOS for the olde amiga, must download xna & have a play with it.
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo