1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Browser-Based MMO Inventory Problem

I am wondering how I would create an inventory for a player storing an infinite amount of predefined items. For example, lets say that I have the following items: Apple, Pear, and an Orange, each have pre-defined values (Apple has a Rating of 4 and a Price of 3, Pear has a Rating of 5 and a Price of 6, etc...) and I have a tonne of existing players who can have any amount of any of these items. I have no clue how to do this... currently I have a table called player which stores their session, username, amount of currency, etc... and I have a table called item which has the rating and sell price......

Any suggestions how to create this inventory for a player? I was considering limiting the amount of items a player could have and just literally adding x amount of fields for each inventory slot, but there has to be a significantly better way of doing this, particularly one that does not limit the amount of items each player can have.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

you can create a third table that contain the user id, item id and a stock field which will hold the amount the user has of that item.
  5. No Profile Picture

Still how would you hold different itemids? If I had a field called userid, itemid and amount... I can understand how that would work with an input like "username", "apple", "5", or something, but how would I store the amount of pears and oranges and bananas and anything else aswell in that table?
  7. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't see the problem. You create a table with userid, itemid, amount (not necessary!) and itemname.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by sockopen
    Still how would you hold different itemids? If I had a field called userid, itemid and amount... I can understand how that would work with an input like "username", "apple", "5", or something, but how would I store the amount of pears and oranges and bananas and anything else aswell in that table?

taking you example input then "username", "apple","5" is when the user have 5 apple. if a user have 10 orange then you will make an input like "username","orange","10".

"username" should more be a user_id that link to the user table (which contains session, username, amount of currency, etc... ).
    Same goes with the item name, this should be a item_id that link to the item table (which store the rating and sell price etc).

hope this answer your questions.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Like these guys have already said:

User Table
    ==========================
    UserID | Username | Password | Money... etc...

Item Table
    ItemID | ItemName... etc...

Inventory Table
    UserID | ItemID | Quantity
    Only use quantity field if you want stackable items in set amounts... For example, a user can only have 20 oranges in one stack, before a new stack is made... (Think World Of Warcraft)

Otherwise, leave Quantity out and just do a record count to get the quantity of an item that the user has.

PHP Code:
    $query mysql_query("SELECT Count(*) FROM Inventory WHERE UserID=$userID AND ItemID=$itemID");

$quantity mysql_fetch_row($query);

echo 
    $quantity[0]; 
    Last edited by TomGlenn; July 25th, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Couldn't you have each user have a userid, then make a separate table with the item info?

user info
    =============================
    userid | username | password | etc...
    =============================

items

========================
    userid | serialize array of items |
    ========================

First make a master array of all items:

$allitems = array();

Then make a web script to add something like this:

$item = array($itemname, $quantity);

Then add it to the bigger array like this:

array_push($allitems, $item);

Then serialize the big array like this:

serialize($allitems);

Then add it to the database...

When you want to get the info back, use this:

$allitems = unserialize(some_database_return_function());

Of course you would want to organize the items into weapons, healing items, keys, etc... just to make it a little faster to work with.
  15. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Having an array of items is a bad idea. What you usually want is an 'item' table: every single item in the game, itemid, user who owns it. That's what I'd do, personally. Makes finding items much easier.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo