Thread: Text Based RPG

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Text Based RPG

Hey Guys, first post here.

Just wondering what you all thought would be the best way to make a text based RPG, or one with perhaps slight 2d graphics. I'm not looking for a click and drag tool, because I like to hand code stuff. I have some knowledge of a bunch of languages, including C, C++, BASIC, and Python, but I'm not really an expert in any of them. It's not my first project, but I'd really like to know what you think the best one would be for this project. (This will most likely be the language I try to master.)

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This is effectively a best language question, for which there is no answer. There is no best language. If you already have some experience, then either you know what languages you like to program in best, or you might think it's worth exploring another language like Ruby, C#, or Java.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok, thanks very much for the insight.

Cheers
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I hope you don't feel like I'm not bothering to answer the question. That's not it. If there really was a best language, then we all would be advising everyone else to learn that one language. Clearly, that's not happening, and you can generate quite a bit of flame wars over "which language is better". So, you should (eventually) realize that it isn't so much a best language as the best one for you.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well if you are going to use this project as a learning tool than just use the language you want to expand your knowledge on. If you want this project to be the project where you actually want to create something nice, Choose the language you feel most comfortable with in achieving the tasks that the game would require to make.

Good luck!
  11. No Profile Picture

About language...

I think you should choose the language according to the project.

If you speak about text-based / 2D graphic I would recommand Java / C# ... just because you don't need the speed. Also choosing the language with garbage-collector will greatly increase your speed of development. I know that a honest-C-man-to-the-bone would say that others are lazy and/or stupid :-) but the fact is ... You don't need to bother, you don't need to think about it, you can't make mistake in it, you don't need to debug it (well it's not 100% true, but what is).

I have also some experience with Python but I wouldn't recommand that. Simply because there is no good free IDE for it (afaik).

Also I've seen a good free java library for creating 2D tile-based games, but can't remember, may be google will help...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo