Thread: Level designer

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Level designer

what kinds of applications would level designers use?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

That totally depends on how you've designed your game engine. If your engine handles proprietary data formats, you will probably end up using tools such as Maya or 3D Studio Max to do your level designs -- Or better yet a level editor of your own.

If your engine handles Quake map files, you'd use Radiant. If your engine handles Half-Life map files, you'd use Hammer, etc. etc.

What engine do you use?
  5. No Profile Picture

ok

that's right, I 'd like it
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Thr3ddy
    That totally depends on how you've designed your game engine. If your engine handles proprietary data formats, you will probably end up using tools such as Maya or 3D Studio Max to do your level designs -- Or better yet a level editor of your own.

If your engine handles Quake map files, you'd use Radiant. If your engine handles Half-Life map files, you'd use Hammer, etc. etc.

What engine do you use?
    right now, none, but i am just trying to find a basic program that a majority use so i can get experience on that
  9. pogremar
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by C++ FaNaTiC
    right now, none, but i am just trying to find a basic program that a majority use so i can get experience on that
    Autodesk Maya is the most Pimp program you can use for that purpose. But it costs $$$. Next would be Autodesk 3ds Max. They're similar, but Maya is more bad-***. I used both in college.
    Some day I'll create a smart quote to put here.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo