1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Game programmer VS Non-game programmer

Hello,

I would like to know if "game programming" is harder than "non-game programming? I heard that for game programming, we have to deal with graphic + physic programming. On the other hand, if we work as a programmer in a financial company, I don't think we need to know directX/OpenGL or physic programming right??

If a person is not enjoying game programming, do you think he can enjoy/succeed in non-game programming?

If you have work on both game and non-game development before. Please share your opinion on this.

Thank you.
  3. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Non game programming is the largest market (in programming) so yes a lot of people do enjoy it.

Not all game programming will involve graphics, some of it could be say the stats of a game, or the AI etc...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i think both are as hard

it really down to individuals' abilities, education and interests
  7. No Profile Picture

On my opinion the basic difference is that the game programmer must think more about the user interface and about what user see
    and want to do and can do and is allow to do , then the non game programmer that usually have some input form and then calculate its data .
  9. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I find that game programming allows for more creativity. I quite often get to work on something completely new to me. I have only worked on my own (small) 2D games, but each one has been incredibly fun to design and play.

Regular software design tends to be a bit more tedious IMHO. Design a gui, design a back-end for the gui, run some db queries and you have an app. Certain functions of the application can be fun to work on, but its more like pixel pushing than anything else.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

The question on what is harder is dependent on so many things that it is impossible to give a simple answer to that. What are you going to compare? A content management system with Tic-Tac-Toe or an alarm clock widget with something like World of Warcraft? Quake 4 with the software that's going to analyze the data from the Large Hadron Collider?

In both areas there's plenty of opportunities and plenty of challenges...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  13. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Hugh of Borg
    something like World of Warcraft?
    and when talking about the "greater" kind of games, how many programmers does even touch the "development" of graphic ?
    Guess that wouldn't be many.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by victorti83plus
    Hello,

I would like to know if "game programming" is harder than "non-game programming? I heard that for game programming, we have to deal with graphic + physic programming. On the other hand, if we work as a programmer in a financial company, I don't think we need to know directX/OpenGL or physic programming right??

If a person is not enjoying game programming, do you think he can enjoy/succeed in non-game programming?

If you have work on both game and non-game development before. Please share your opinion on this.

Thank you.
    Well...if you are doing ground breaking research in Pattern Matching within Computer vision/speech recognition then you wouldnt be doing game programming but i can guarentee that former is 10000 harder.

Plus with game programming its a matter of gaining acquaintance with the API...once you've done that, the algorithms you use henceforth are pretty similar.

In conclusion: both are easy and both are hard, it depends on how much time you are willing to dedicate it

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo