Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New To Programming: What Language Is Right For Me?

Currently I am only familiar with HTML. While I cannot write code for other web languages I have been very successful in "lightly" modifying existing code to suit my needs in the following languages: javascript, PHP, CSS, MYSQL, XML, and Perl. I am a long time Windows user and care little for cross platform languages like Java. I have nothing against Java, just saying that if I learn a Windows only programming language like C# it wont be a negative thing for me. I only plan on developing programs for my personal "non-profit" needs.

I am a quick learner, learn quickly from trial and error, and am looking for the path of least resistance. Currently the project I have my eyes set on is creating a Virtual Game Table. Examples include: MapTool, Fantasy Grounds, and Klooge.Werks. Would C# or Python be ideal? I know C# has Visual Studio and is a very popular language. Any suggestions or feedback would be most appreciated.

Generally these programs allow players to connect online to play pen and paper based games (Dungeons & Dragons for example) together. They have dice rollers, macro support, various types of text modifications (color, size, font, bold/italics/underline, etc...), drawing tools (simple like MS-Paint), multiple layers for graphics, fog-of-war, etc... The last two links above link to screen shots of the programs if your interested in what one of these programs generally looks like.

Any information, links, or feedback would be most appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's rude to multi-spam forums with a question. Ask in the right place, in one place, and respect the answers. You already asked on gamedev, so look at the answers there.

Comments on this post

• swattkidd disagrees : [0] more opinions the better right? but I thought the same thing when I saw this post..
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

That's partly correct, there ARE times when you can ask in multiple locations.

The times you should NOT ask (again) are:
    - If you've received an answer on your problem
    - You're spamming multiple forums trying to get a FAST answer.

In this case it's not a black and white answer, so his question here is fine.

@ Modmiddy

It is polite to point to the other forums that you have posted too, this way when we reply we can see what answers you've already gotten and not have to repeat anything.

If either of you 3 have more questions please PM me, and leave this thread as intended for answers to his question.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. In the past I've found that the Dev Shed community is made up primarily of professionals or non-professionals with professional level skill. I've found GameDev to be a place for newbies to pro's to gather but generally speaking it is a very different environment than Dev Shed. I felt it was necessary to post in both to make sure I received feedback from both audiences. The GameDev.Net thread can be found here.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Which is the best for creating a game however. I read this thread and no answer came. Flash or Java platform? Flash sounds like from readings that it would be the best but I'm just trying to get a second opinion
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by GH4
    Which is the best for creating a game however. I read this thread and no answer came. Flash or Java platform? Flash sounds like from readings that it would be the best but I'm just trying to get a second opinion
    Hmm, Java is #1. So that must mean everything, including games, is programmed in Java.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Oh ok thanks so much. I even know what kind of game to make now because of This
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The word "best" has no meaning in programming. As a programmer, you are faced with a number of choices, each having it's own consequence. There is no one language, one tool, one way to program, one design to use, one anything.

You need to understand all the choices before you, and the consequences of each choice. Is Flash the best for games? Is Java? I don't know. You need to see what you want to achieve, and what will allow you to get there.

17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I was reading up on google and it seems to make a very versatile game with a lot of options one would need to learn:

Java and Python.

Is C/C#/C++ really necessary? Do most jobs require knowledge of this language? I am not very fond of the complexity of the language
  19. No Profile Picture

I am going to give an opinion even though it may cost me. I have experience with Java, Python and C/C++. The correct answer for me was C/C++.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned

But isn't c/c++ a low level language and is not used by professionals? I am hoping to be a professional game developer So I don't want to learn a language I dont need to learn. I am currently trying to learn PHP Perl Python and Java

(note: if u wnat to critique what languages im learning and show me better ones to learn now is the time because I am starting to learn them now so best correct me now before I get too far in!!!!!)
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by GH4
    I was reading up on google and it seems to make a very versatile game with a lot of options one would need to learn:

Java and Python.
    You don’t need both to make a game. Furthermore, you’ll want to define “versatile” game.

Is C/C#/C++ really necessary? Do most jobs require knowledge of this language? I am not very fond of the complexity of the language
    C, C#, and C++ are three different languages. Lumping them together is like saying “I speak the language English/French/Spanish/Latin”. Eh?

Are those three languages necessary? Sure. Are they necessary for you? That depends on what you want to do. Do most jobs require knowledge of these languages? I’ll just say a good chunk of programming is done in one or more of these three languages. But not all is done in them.

Originally Posted by bnhynum
    The correct answer for me was C/C++
    Only for a specific situation right? You wouldn’t have chosen C or C++ if you had to write a program to quickly parse and manipulate a text file, would you?

Originally Posted by GH4
    But isn't c/c++ a low level language and is not used by professionals?
    What do you imagine a low level language is? Furthermore, both languages are definitely used by professionals. Especially in the games industry.

I am currently trying to learn PHP Perl Python and Java
    Those are four languages. You are trying to learn four languages at once? Well, have fun.

25. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I wasnt planning on learning four at once -.- This summer is devoted to PHP. Then during school year im learning Java in a class. Then that during school year on offtime I will try to learn Perl. Then summer for that year is Python. Then college comes and I know 4 languages and I'm ahead of the pack.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I wasnt planning on learning four at once -.- This summer is devoted to PHP. Then during school year im learning Java in a class. Then that during school year on offtime I will try to learn Perl. Then summer for that year is Python. Then college comes and I know 4 languages and I'm ahead of the pack.
    You underestimate the time needed to properly learn a language. Furthermore, you seem to equate learning a language with programming.

How about this, pick a language, and start learning. Experience is the best teacher really, and is most persuasive.

29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

But I learn quick. I usually teach myself about 4 hours a day. 2 reading a chapter. 2 applying and programming.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo