1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Arrow Should I...........

Create my own game engine for my games? Also. If so, What good book out there or site would teach me how to make a engine...(Btw. im talkin about side-scrolling games and maybe a cheap 3d one here and there, not no Halo 4.1 super engine..lol) Ne ideas ne one?
  3. Kage Bunshin
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

My first idea is for you to put a little effort into your spelling. If you can't spell, switch to firefox. Your grammar isn't terrible but it could use some work. That being said, I would not recommend that you create your own game engine. Writing an engine or library takes a great deal of determination. You will spend all of your time working on stuff that you may never use, and will eventually "fizzle out" because you have nothing to show for your efforts. There is also a matter of experience, which you may or may not have. Can you load an image with any particular language, calculate direction, handle collisions, or write a primitive AI? If you answered no to one of these questions I recommend you use a pre-established engine for your game.
    "Java makes impossible things possible, but makes easy things difficult." - Somebody
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

it really depends what you want from your project.

if you aim is to learn to create games, then building your own engine might be a good idea, as you will learn how games really work underneath and will give you a better understanding.

but doing such will require alot of patience, hard work and time. But if you stick with it, by the end, you should have learnt alot.

also if you build one, then you can then use that to expand and create other games.

if you aim is simply to try and create the game you want, then using an existing engine will give you a short cut into this

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo