1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help in novice programmer

Hello my name is John, and it's nice to meet who ever decides to help me. My question is rather basic, I can program in VB.Net, or C#. What I'd like to do is make a game area of a square, say 300 pixels by 300 pixels. I'd like to develop a couple of characters that will hunt each other, like in robo- wars. I would like to do this for general practice; is this too ambitious of an idea? Should I try for something smaller? I really would like to construct the game area then just learn how to make a square move around the screen. Where do I start to research? Any help or pointers are much appreciated.

John
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I have no idea if it's ambitious or not for you, although based on the way you wrote your post, I would say, probably.

Where do I start to research?
    Depends on what you want in your little game. It's vaguely described. However, if you have to ask what you have to "research", without being able to be anymore in depth than that, you are probably way out of your league.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Oler1s
    I have no idea if it's ambitious or not for you, although based on the way you wrote your post, I would say, probably.

Depends on what you want in your little game. It's vaguely described. However, if you have to ask what you have to "research", without being able to be anymore in depth than that, you are probably way out of your league.

I thought I was coming a place were people would be helpful, not get a smart *** response. Lovely; I asked the research question, because obviously the books I have from school donít mention how you might begin to do this. And if you had any idea of what you were doing you might be more helpful instead of posting your remark.

Anybody can look up things on Google; however finding exactly what you need is a pain. Iíd thought I would save some time coming here, but I guess I was mistaken.

John
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I made a serious comment. You sound like you're biting off much more than you can chew. You might not want to hear such an opinion, but that's what it is.

If you want a 300px x 300px square, obviously you need to know someway of creating graphics. Using Winforms or WPF drawing capabilities would be one possibility, although ideally you would want to use DirectX with C#. The robots would have to have some sort of AI. Depending on the strength and complexity of your AI, it can be very complicated.

You asked if your idea was too ambitious. I gave my opinion, that you probably couldn't handle it. I didn't really have much to go on based on your description. Saving your game has graphics and AI isn't saying much at all.

If you really want me to throw you a bone here, look into XNA. It works with C#, and it's probably your fastest path to making a game.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Id say if you want to get into game development, you might want to use a different language.
    C++ is probably your best bet. And then get into using the openGL or DirectX API.

A game is just like any other program, but using a little more math and graphics. Just remember to keep your logic and graphical aspects seperated, meaning:
    Build your game engine and then your graphics are a front end to it. So you can Always upgrade graphical features, but your physics (bounds checking, ray tracing) can stay intact through the upgrades. Im not a very good programmer (better than some) but ive learned that designing your layout is the hardest part, and then it just comes down to writing your functions to do what you have on paper.
    start small, and add
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Where do you start research?
    I would suggest XNA if you are sticking with C# and also take the project into pieces.

Can you create a 300 x 300 windows? Yes?
    Can you draw 2 characters onto the screen? Yes?
    Can you make those 2 characters move? Yes?
    Can you make 1 of those characters chase the other? Yes?
    etc, etc.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

just remeber that everyone wants to be a game programmer, and that learning other types of programmer isnt going to hurt your abilities to do so. any type of coding will help you in some way
  15. No Profile Picture

I donít mind hearing that I was over my head because I am; most definitely I am which is why I came here. They way you worded it was a bit harsh. I have checked XNA out and it has helped a bit. Thanks for your comments.
  17. No Profile Picture

Yeah I am about to graduate from college and I feel as though I'm still over my head. I donít feel like Iím prepared enough to start a job in 3 months as a programmer. Everything we did was sort of cookie cutter. Iíve written some code on my own in projects but I still feel it wasnít enough. Practice makes perfect. Iíve been going through my old programming books to practice the exercises there.

I assume that someone in this forum is a programmer. What can I expect when I get a job as an entry level programmer? I mean do they just say here is what we are working on and here is what we want? Or is it a bit friendlier where they kind of show you the ropes? Am I being a bit naÔve? Thanks for all your comments.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I donít mind hearing that I was over my head because I am; most definitely I am which is why I came here. They way you worded it was a bit harsh.
    I apologize for the unintended tone of my previous post. It isnít possible to communicate tone or a number of indicative factors in an internet post. Combined with our professional need and desire to be accurate, our posts may come off as harsh. The general advice on IT forums is have some thick skin. Itís more or less necessary for this medium of communication.

Yeah I am about to graduate from college and I feel as though I'm still over my head. I donít feel like Iím prepared enough to start a job in 3 months as a programmer. Everything we did was sort of cookie cutter. Iíve written some code on my own in projects but I still feel it wasnít enough.
    What about internships or university sponsored or connected projects? Have you had any such experience?

Itís not surprising to walk out of college feeling unprepared. The material that tends to be taught in an academic setting doesnít necessarily gel with the commercial or real world. Not that itís useful, the material you learned gives you a core foundation necessary in broaching a number of topics. My advice, while you look for, or prepare for, your future employment, is to work on the most relevant skillsets . Do you know where you are going with computer programming? General applications? Embedded? Games?

What can I expect when I get a job as an entry level programmer? I mean do they just say here is what we are working on and here is what we want? Or is it a bit friendlier where they kind of show you the ropes? Am I being a bit naÔve?
    Obviously, it varies depending on company. Larger companies or those that cyclically recruit from academic institutions usually know what to expect out of graduates, and will to an extent help you ease in. They might introduce you to the build system they have, explain what version control is, forgive gaps in your C knowledge or whatever language, and so on.

This sort of question is best suited for wide viewership, where everyone can chip in about the experiences they had. Some started out working as freelance or independent, and others started out at a big name company. If you want to pursue this question, I suggest you create a new topic in the lounge:
    - A detailed question
    - A link back to this thread, to suggest what spawned a new thread
    - Additional information about yourself, like what your skillset is, programming direction is or employment desire is, and so on

21. No Profile Picture

I will do that; Thanks for the response!

Jw
  23. No Profile Picture

good luck with your game

Originally Posted by Oler1s
    I made a serious comment. You sound like you're biting off much more than you can chew. You might not want to hear such an opinion, but that's what it is.

If you want a 300px x 300px square, obviously you need to know someway of creating graphics. Using Winforms or WPF drawing capabilities would be one possibility, although ideally you would want to use DirectX with C#. The robots would have to have some sort of AI. Depending on the strength and complexity of your AI, it can be very complicated.

You asked if your idea was too ambitious. I gave my opinion, that you probably couldn't handle it. I didn't really have much to go on based on your description. Saving your game has graphics and AI isn't saying much at all.

If you really want me to throw you a bone here, look into XNA. It works with C#, and it's probably your fastest path to making a game.
    Sounds like a cool game, you should post it on shareware.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo