1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MMORPG requires what?

If i wanted to learn to create environment such as world of warcraft or everquest. I assume proficiency in C++ but is there any dev programs that would be able to craft it easier?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ja.bills
    If i wanted to learn to create environment such as world of warcraft or everquest. I assume proficiency in C++ but is there any dev programs that would be able to craft it easier?
    No.

Comments on this post

• ryon420 agrees
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

A lot of money, a lot of people, a lot of knowledge.

Also, take a look at all the other threads about this issue.
  7. No Profile Picture

i feel like an idiot now... maybe i should ignore stickies by default... i kinda wanted to know if there was a dev program, and guess not.

thanks
  9. Eager to learn

After Googling for an hour now I can say with certainty that there is NO such thing as an MMORPG game dev program. Whoever could make it though would be filthy rich!

Let me rephrase on this edit. There are no 3D game makers. There are 2d makers such found on gamecreator.com
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  11. No Profile Picture

If you have NO coding experience AT ALL, you can actually use Realm Crafter Standard. Then practice on that and do some BASIC C++ coding, then you can upgrade to Realm Crafter PRO.
  13. No Profile Picture

I have dabbled in some codes but i never really took the plunge into learning one because i wasn't sure which way to go, but i believe i will go head strong with C++ then.
  15. Eager to learn

C++ is the best choice. Java makes easy things hard and hard things difficult, one of the drawbacks of the language. It is also easier to learn (IMO)
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  17. No Profile Picture

thanks guys, i appreciate the help
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by EricReese
    C++ is the best choice. Java makes easy things hard and hard things difficult, one of the drawbacks of the language. It is also easier to learn (IMO)
    C++ is the best choice? Where did that blanket statement come from? It's easier to learn? Aside from a small standard library, it has no unified platform. Much useful functionality comes from third party libraries, each with different coding styles and standards. Some are C libraries, not C++ libraries. There's too much reinventing of the wheel and too much of a mess.

And how about the documentation and learning resources? Most books are terrible. Consider the equivalence of pointers and arrays. It's such a fundamental aspect of C and C++, yet most books don't get it right. Forget about getting a good explanation, you're more likely to get a wrong explanation. Good practices don't get documented well. Good C++ programming and idioms like RAII and smart pointers and Boost don't exactly get discussed in many books.

Contrast that with Java. Used by a large number of people. One of the best learning resources is the Sun tutorial, available free online. There's a standard documentation format for APIs called Javadoc. Use a third party library, and you still get Javadocs. There's a large platform to provide with significant useful functionality. Want to make a GUI? Simple task. In C++, you first have to pick a widget toolkit, and then learn how that toolkit works. If C++ is your first language, good luck. If you're using Java, it's a matter of using Swing, which by the way the Sun tutorial covers.

C++ isn't the best choice. Consider some MMORPGs. EVE Online: uses Python. Everquest: Java. I realize they are pretty commonly cited examples, but they are large stable MMOGs that don't use C++.

What is the best choice? There isn't one. That's the right answer. Choosing a language isn't like choosing the petrol for your car at the gas station. It's no simple as saying "premium is best". Choosing a language is a technical decision which has a number of technical implications. If you're going to program an MMORPG and you don't understand the implications of your chosen language(s), you're in trouble already.

It's why I recommend Python or C# to beginning programmers. Not because they are in any way "best" but because currently, starting with either language is most efficient for programmers. They may ultimately be using a different language whenever they make their big game. That's not important. What's important is learning to program and have a starting point for technical proficiency. Knowing C++ won't suddenly enable you to make an MMORPG. Those under such an illusion will find out very sadly months later.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  21. No Profile Picture

well, i don't find my self to be that naive. I know that to craft a game like that it requires much time and patience and man power for quality. For my own amusement i wanted to create a environment such as Everquest or World of warcraft and obviously not even close to the quality or scale of. I was just curious if i wanted to lead my self in the direction of such a project what would be the language i should am for. Seems like Java or C++ is what is used in the mainstream.

Obviously, as a person who doesn't know any object oriented programming languages, picking a specific to accomplish my project is something i required assistance on. At this point i have only researched C++ which i have found seemingly quality site like learncpp. I also have search for the question on which language to start learning first and it seems every language is the answer at some point. But, if my goal is to create a environment like everquest, for fun...... which would be the code i should lean towards learning first java or C++. under your personal opinion.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was just curious if i wanted to lead my self in the direction of such a project what would be the language i should am for.
    And the answer to that question is only the programmer can decide. If you are goinig to making the game, only you can decide the answer.

Seems like Java or C++ is what is used in the mainstream.
    Mainstream does not imply correct or desirable.

picking a specific to accomplish my project is something i required assistance on.
    As a person who is not a programmer, you are not going to accomplish your project. It's just reality. Picking a language is the first step toward becoming a competent programmer. It's not the first step towards making an MMO. In fact, if the first thing you are trying to do in building an MMO is choosing a language, you are already doing it wrong.

At this point i have only researched C++ which i have found seemingly quality site like learncpp.
    Research other languages. It's only to your benefit.

I also have search for the question on which language to start learning first and it seems every language is the answer at some point. But, if my goal is to create a environment like everquest, for fun...... which would be the code i should lean towards learning first java or C++. under your personal opinion.
    Neither. Actually, you are under the illusion that picking the right language will allow you to create such an environment. That's incorrect.

25. No Profile Picture

im not looking to create an mmo just i wanted to create a zone with a dude that walks around in it..

I figure that there would be a specific language better suited for that than another... i meant mainstream in a sense, well it is used to create an environment that i want to create so doing such wouldn't be out of reason.

i don't see how choosing a language to learn based on what i want to create is a mistake.

I completely understand i have to learn a language first, before i do much of anything... its kinda what i was asking originally

all i know now is web based languages, so i guess, i'm just going to attempt to learn java or C/C++ because i guess it doesn't matter what i start with ether way
  27. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ja.bills
    im not looking to create an mmo just i wanted to create a zone with a dude that walks around in it..

I figure that there would be a specific language better suited for that than another... i meant mainstream in a sense, well it is used to create an environment that i want to create so doing such wouldn't be out of reason.

i don't see how choosing a language to learn based on what i want to create is a mistake.

I completely understand i have to learn a language first, before i do much of anything... its kinda what i was asking originally.

all i know now is web based languages, so i guess, i'm just going to attempt to learn java or C/C++ because i guess it doesn't matter what i start with ether way
    I don't know the amount of experience you have with web programming so I'll assume you're a relative rookie. If that's the case I suggest you learn something like Java or C# to start with. I don't know Python so I can't comment on that. Both Java and C# are quite easy to learn. There are way less pitfalls than with C/C++ and both provide a very broad and well documented API. And it will be a while anyway before you get to write anything complicated enough to worry about speed.

In the end, if a 3D network game really is your goal, you'll have to pick some kind of 3D engine or library. There are many to choose from for any language.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo