Thread: Dice Wars Board

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Dice Wars Board

I was curious if anyone knows or has an idea on how the game 'Dice Wars' draws a board randomly consisting of different territories. I was wanting to create an alternate version for fun and I was thinking the territories would be objects. I am having trouble, however, figuring out the board creation. Thanks in advance!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hmm. This might not be the best approach but I would try something along these lines:

Once you have the outline of the board drop a few "territory seeds" on it and let them grow by including one free block at a time. Once all the free blocks are taken you probably have some very small and some bigger territories. You can then either include the small ones to their smallest neighbor -or- do a few rounds where the smaller ones can eat away blocks from their larger neighbors. That should even out the sizes.

Alternatively you could just design a few test boards to start with and worry about this later.

Good luck! I liked the concept of the game but I always had the suspicion that the version I played cheated...
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Borg! I think you are right, I should just create some static boards and worry about randomization later. I haven't done much flash programming, do you have any suggestions of where to get started on laying out a visual such as a board and chopping it into objects (the territories)?
  7. No Profile Picture

Post ya sure

a good question to ask is CAN YOU MAKE THIS IDEA REALITY?
    if not, then practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!

a territorie game, eh( ). well, I'd use the random numbers to select each player's starting territorie, and make every player start with the same amount of territorie to make things way easier.

id make random numbers using the ctime librarie, or google it, thats always fun( )
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by theblang
    I haven't done much flash programming, do you have any suggestions of where to get started on laying out a visual such as a board and chopping it into objects (the territories)?
    Hmm. I really don't know flash programming so I have no idea of it's capabilities but I would try this:
    • I'd first layout a big blank grid in a vector graphics program. If you're doing square fields that's easy but if you're doing hex fields that may take some effort. (Probably with polygons)
    • Then save and make a copy to build your first map from it.
    • Cut away all the grid tiles you don't want in your map.
    • Then divide the map into territories.
    • Merge the tiles that belong to the same territory and create a border for each territory.
    • Then copy each territory and paste them into individual files.
    • There you can save a differently colored copy for every player.
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo