1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking into game making as a hobby

First of all, I'm not your average 12 year old hoping to make another Runescape in a few days. I do have some basic knowledge of C++. I found this site when I googled how to make an online game, and the thread I read (it was about 101 posts I read through), and I was suprised at how many posts I saw from pre-teens looking to make a huge MMORPG. I'm not like that.

I've been wanting to develop games for a while. What I'm looking to do is those online games, for instance, if you type in "Online Games" in google and click any of the top few sites, you'll come to a site with a lot of little games to play. That's what I'd like to do, not make a big site of it, but just make some games for fun.

Now, the thread I read had so many different things, I'm not sure where to start. Would those games I was referring to require OpenGL or DirectX? Which language would be best for those? Flash? Java? Any other? I have a text editor, and a paint program (Paint.Net), so I'd just need to look into getting a language program for the language that I'd be learning in.

If you have any other information, that'd be helpful. Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Online games as in browser games? If so, Flash, Java Applets or Silverlight. You don't get to leverage Graphics APIs directly, although Java abstracts an OpenGL layer.

Most browser based games are made with Flash, which is a proprietary tool made by Adobe. People generally don't like Java Applets (they're quite memory and processor intensive) or Silverlight since it's a very new technology.

The good thing about Flash is the fact that it's script-able through a language called ActionScript which is an ECMAScript dialect, much like JavaScript. So if you have C++ experience, you'll be right at home with ActionScript.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Thr3ddy
    Online games as in browser games? If so, Flash, Java Applets or Silverlight. You don't get to leverage Graphics APIs directly, although Java abstracts an OpenGL layer.

Most browser based games are made with Flash, which is a proprietary tool made by Adobe. People generally don't like Java Applets (they're quite memory and processor intensive) or Silverlight since it's a very new technology.

The good thing about Flash is the fact that it's script-able through a language called ActionScript which is an ECMAScript dialect, much like JavaScript. So if you have C++ experience, you'll be right at home with ActionScript.
    Thanks! Is there any decent Flash programs other than Adobe?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Others? Yes. Decent? Maybe you can find something here but I really doubt you'd find anything comparable to Adobe Flash.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Thr3ddy
    Others? Yes. Decent? Maybe you can find something here but I really doubt you'd find anything comparable to Adobe Flash.
    Alright, thanks for the help, Thr3ddy!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also, may I suggest studying javascript, html, and css. It is certainly possible to create browser games using just these tools without the need of a browser plugin (flash, java applets, silverlight, etc.). Take a look at <canvas>, it's a new html tag put out by mozilla to basically create a scriptable drawing area in the browser. I'm not on top of all the new web technologies as I'd like to be, but I believe <canvas> is, or will be, supported by all major web browsers.

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Canvas_tutorial
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jdavidw13
    Also, may I suggest studying javascript, html, and css. It is certainly possible to create browser games using just these tools without the need of a browser plugin (flash, java applets, silverlight, etc.). Take a look at <canvas>, it's a new html tag put out by mozilla to basically create a scriptable drawing area in the browser. I'm not on top of all the new web technologies as I'd like to be, but I believe <canvas> is, or will be, supported by all major web browsers.

I do know some HTML, a little CSS, but no Javascript. I will definitely look more into those as well, thanks!
  15. No Profile Picture

Flash by all means. If you get the adobe/macromedia(old name) suite, you can use Fireworks to draw everything (and its actually quite a good program), flash to do you game or animations and so on, and dreamweaver to make a nice little site to embed it on... the whole works will be available to you. I used to use Marcomedia MX studio, but don't know what the latest adobe suite is called, or what it is like for that matter.

As a programmer... I can say for the love of god avoid Javascript at your age... it is a nightmare to start learning when you don't have a thorough knowlegde of how those sort programming languages work. It may just be that I use JS to do client-side validation on wep-applications but I hate it. I like what it can do for my sites but when it breaks you have to understand it to fix it. It breaks... doesn't actually tell you what happened, and then does as it pleases (especially when dealing with datetime objects)...

Seriously though, good luck. At 12 I still though computers contained magic...
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by wnp7222
    Alright, thanks for the help, Thr3ddy!
    When you do make a game, please let me know, I want to try it out.
  19. No Profile Picture

Flash is pretty much the way to go, but I've seen some successful little games done with nothing more than Javascript, PHP, and an MySQL database as the back end.

Granted, those generally wind up being more like MUDS with minimal graphics (if any), but it can be done, and all of the software you need to make them is free.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Plognark
    Flash is pretty much the way to go, but I've seen some successful little games done with nothing more than Javascript, PHP, and an MySQL database as the back end.

Granted, those generally wind up being more like MUDS with minimal graphics (if any), but it can be done, and all of the software you need to make them is free.
    What kind of software do you have in mind and where could some one attain them?
  23. /usr/bin/drinking
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If you do make a game, please make sure you take the time and effort into making it secure. LG in Australia had a tower defence game in flash where the major prize is a 42" LCD, prize is still open until the end of July, it was opened at the start of June. Took all of 2 days for someone to hack it and submit bogus scores.

LG ended up dropping any score over a certain amount, shame it won't stop cheats submitting scores just under the cut off.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jason_chambers
    What kind of software do you have in mind and where could some one attain them?
    Well, Javascript can basically be coded up in notepad, and so can PHP and MySQL. All you need is a website that runs PHP, which almost all do, and will let you set up a MySQL database, which almost all do. Javascript can just run in any browser embedded in an HTML web page.

If you just want to test it out locally, you can just download PHP and MySQL, although there's a bit of reading and study you'll have to do to get them installed and up and running.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo