1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Nielsen heuristic principles

anyone knows these Nielsen Heuristic principles to find faults in user interfaces with mobile applications ....

do reply if u know....

i gotta a game to find faults with it using Nielsen Heuristic principles....

do help me...reply...
  3. Commie Mutant Traitor
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

From a quick search, I think that this is the page to start with. A(n over)simplified version of the heuristics could be stated as:
    • Show what's happening inside the program
    • Talk like a user, not like a programmer
    • Don't make the user jump through hoops to do simple things
    • Do familiar things in a familiar way
    • Avoid errors before they come up, or at least try to fix them rather than just dumping them in the users' laps
    • Let the user see what to do rather than having to memorize a lot of details
    • Give the users shortcuts, and let them set up their own shortcuts
    • Keep It Simple, Stupid
    • If something goes wrong, tell the user about it in a way that makes sense to them, and try to help them fix it
    • Give the user good, clear and useful documentation

Several of these can be seen as an extension of the Principle of Least Astonishment, though the specific rules are valid in themselves, from what I'm reading. The second heuristic is something I've been trying to address in my own work on Notational Design, but Nielsen states it as a general principle going far beyond what I'd been doing.
    Last edited by Schol-R-LEA; May 4th, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Rev First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 JAM LCF ELF KoR KCO BiWM TGIF
    #define KINSEY (rand() % 7) λ Scheme is the Red Pill
    Scheme in Short Understanding the C/C++ Preprocessor
    Taming Python A Highly Opinionated Review of Programming Languages for the Novice, v1.1

FOR SALE: One ShapeSystem 2300 CMD, extensively modified for human use. Includes s/w for anthro, transgender, sex-appeal enhance, & Gillian Anderson and Jason D. Poit clone forms. Some wear. $4500 obo. tverres@et.ins.gov

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo