1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question about game servers

Hi, some months ago i wrote about learning some languages to develop browser based games for fun (and profit if i'm lucky haha)

I choose PHP and MySQL for a project in which i'm working now cause now i feel confident with those language/data base, i want to make a text-based RPG and now i'm writing all the history, quests, stats system, designing the data base structure, whatever.

It's my first time with a project like this and i want to know if i'll need a special server if i have lots of visits (i'm realistic, i don't think that this will become a "boom", but you always need to be prepared ) or if everything's will be fine with my average Apache server.

I'm a web hosting reseller and i have lots of free space and bandwidth (like 400gb) so i think i'll be fine at least in the beginnings.

If some of you have experience building and hosting that kind of game please tell me about the server requeriments and stuff like that

Thank you
  3. Psycho Canadian
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

If it's just a text based RPG I doubt it'll use much and a single server should be fine. If it gets bigger then you can add to it.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for the answer

by the way, i want to make the game a medieval fantasy parody game, it's inspired by Unforgotten Realms, if you don't know it check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJZ9ozauZMs
    it's goddamn funny.

Since i suck at drawing i think that the best i can do is make the game with sticks as characters if i'm going to do that part by myself.

there are two possibilities with sticks as characters:

a) It sucks
    b) It's even funnier with sticks

I think it'll all depend of story and content quality.

What do you think about this guys?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo