1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking Steps to create a 3d game

If you make a 3d game, what are the steps required to create one?
  3. No Profile Picture

Steps to create your own 3D game?

Step1: You need to know what game you want to create (although I guess you could figure that out as you go along).

Step2: You need to understand some of the mathematics that goes into virtual space (vectors, matrix math, quaternions, etc)

Step3: You need some grasp of basic Newtonian Physics for stuff like acceleration, velocity, collusions, etc. . . .

Step4: You need to understand how 3D space is simulated on the computer screen.

The book that I started with for this is called : Black Art of 3D Game Programming -- by Andre LaMothe, it does not cover stuff like OpenGL or Direct3D; however it discusses all the basic pronciples behind 3D games, including building your own rendering engine. It is kind of an old book, so don't expect info on the latest developments in 3D game graphics, but I recommend it as a good place to start.

Step5: You need to decide what you are going to start with, in terms of 3D rendering systems.

Option A:You can create your own rendering system from scratch (it would not be a bad idea to build a simple 3D rendering engine to understand how things work. But, in terms of something you'd actually use in your games, I'd advise against re-creating the wheel. Building something like OpenGL would be a great deal of work and it would be even harder to make your system take advantage of hardware acceleration. Still, if you're going to make your own language, then maybe you don't mind the work ).

Option B:You can make use of something like OpenGL or DirectX (Direct3D).

Option C:Or you can even tweak somebody else's game engine. (this will also probably deal with many aspects of the Game Physics for you too).
  5. No Profile Picture

Step1: You need to know what game you want to create (although I guess you could figure that out as you go along).
    Ok, the game I am going to create is a whole lot of 3D games but I am going to start off with a simple 3D game, doom-style.

Step2: You need to understand some of the mathematics that goes into virtual space (vectors, matrix math, quaternions, etc)
    Hmmmmm...
    Do you need to read... like 3d game programming books or what books could you read to understand mathematics?

Step3: You need some grasp of basic Newtonian Physics for stuff like acceleration, velocity, collusions, etc. . . .
    Step4: You need to understand how 3D space is simulated on the computer screen.
    Where do I get these books from to view these?
    Same as the 3d space simulation..

Black Art of 3D Game Programming
    Cool... i'll start reading away on how to build my own graphic engine... !!! thanks!!!

Step5: You need to decide what you are going to start with, in terms of 3D rendering systems.
    I'll design my own graphic engine..

Option A:You can create your own rendering system from scratch (it would not be a bad idea to build a simple 3D rendering engine to understand how things work. But, in terms of something you'd actually use in your games, I'd advise against re-creating the wheel. Building something like OpenGL would be a great deal of work and it would be even harder to make your system take advantage of hardware acceleration. Still, if you're going to make your own language, then maybe you don't mind the work ).
    Great! I'll start mine from scratch, but i'll need books to read on...

Thanks for all that info!!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Buzzy661
    Cool... i'll start reading away on how to build my own graphic engine... !!! thanks!!!
    You're very welcome!

If you want to create your own 3D rendering engine, that book is the way to go.

I have a lot of other books on the subject (even some others by that some author), but most of them assume that you are going to use DirectX, or OpenGL, rather than designing your own stuff from the ground up. But that book was written way back in the "dark ages" when you didn't have so many other options.
  9. No Profile Picture

About the Black Art of 3D Game Programming book, it won't let me read it. It says "Your web browser does not support this feature". Any help?
  11. No Profile Picture

About the Black Art of 3D Game Programming book, it won't let me read it. It says "Your web browser does not support this feature". Any help?
    Well, here is the thing about that. . . .

I told you that the book was kind of "old" ("old," meaning, in the context of 3D graphics, "ancient"). In this case, you may actually have to go ---- (key menacing music) Hard-Copy

But fear not! You could probably still order the book using your browser. And that is getting off easy.

Let me tell you---in the olden days, if we wanted a book, it was harder. Much harder! We'd have to walk 100 miles to the book store, uphill (both ways), in 5 feet of snow (and that would be on a good day).
  13. No Profile Picture

If you don't the book route, here are some good places to begin learning about this 3D stuff. . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_(geometry)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_modeling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon#Polygons_in_computer_graphics
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for adding the links. I was curious too.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kenno3
    Thanks for adding the links. I was curious too.
    You are very welcome!
  19. No Profile Picture

Ok, the game I am going to create is a whole lot of 3D games but I am going to start off with a simple 3D game, doom-style.
    I recommend something like pong..
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You have another way. You can use a game engine. there's a lot of them out there. It's easier, and you wont get tired of doing a project that never ends (althought that depends on the project).

visit:
    thegamecreators
    garagegames

web sites
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by kiwiberries
    It probably took a team of 5-10 people a year or two to develop Doom and they likely already had many years of experience.
    You don't need to make Doom as 1. game,and you need to start from something.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo