1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A quick question

Hey guys I just wanted some quick advice.
    Heres the deal;
    I'm not a programmer, at all. I am a musician, and a gamer. I think I have an excellent idea for a large scale MMO. You are just going to have to trust me on that, haha. I'm not giving anything away.Basically I just wanted to know if it is possible for me to get my idea made, with a large company. I'm pretty sure if I could get and interview with someone I could impress them with the idea and artwork alone. But would they just tell me to get lost when they found out I'm not a programmer, and have no experience?

Thanks.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Try contact them and see what they say.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Whether you are a programmer or not is pretty much meaningless. Developing a large scale AAA MMO will consume the resources of dozens of programmers and dozens of support staff for half a decade or more, and cost several tens of millions of dollars to develop. A single programmer is a drop in the bucket. What will matter is whether your idea is good enough and well developed enough to convince a company to dedicate those kinds of resources. Plus, companies are beginning to realize that building an MMO is extremely risky. They are the most costly type of game to build and the type of game most likely to fail completely, and usually within just a few months of launch.

Before you provide your ideas to anyone, sign an agreement with them that protects your rights. If you believe your idea is good enough, hire a lawyer to write the agreement. Otherwise you will probably get screwed in the end.

There are people who work on video games that do nothing but dictate the design of the game; so what you're proposing to do is not completely out of the ordinary. For example, Will Wright and the entire Sims series. However, the fact that you have no prior experience with game design and are asking them to build an MMO will probably work against you. Perhaps you could adapt your game into a regular RPG, action game or RTS; then if it is successful, try to build an MMO of it. This has worked for other series quite well (World of Warcraft).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey. Thanks for your reply. It was really helpful. Does the same apply to making an PRG or action? I mean, if my idea is good enough, will a company be willing to dedicate their resources?
  9. No Profile Picture

I would take my idea and simplify it down to something that could safely be done with a couple of people in a couple of months. Make a prototype and show it around to get some feedback from the community.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo