1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Want to create a "Not So Simple" Boardgame

Hey everyone, I am brand new here so please bare with me as I am most likely in the wrong forum for this...
    Basically I am trying to create an interactive board game that is based off of a book that I read when I was younger. I've come to realize that, as a bare back beginner, its a lot more difficult than I would have ever imagined.
    I have Adobe Flash CS3 as the editor, havent gone too in depth with the program yet as I am still working on editing some pictures, attempting to merge them using Paintbrush (I am guessing that its not the best program to merge certain pieces of a picture to another)
    Again, like I mentioned before, I am brand new, if ANYONE can provide me with some pointers and suggestions, even recommend other programs which are more user friendly, if that is even possible for this kind of work. I am willing to learn if anyone is willing to teach me. For a few years now I have wanted to get this project moving but just didnt know where to start.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Keep working!

Originally Posted by Sdlonyer
    Hey everyone, I am brand new here so please bare with me as I am most likely in the wrong forum for this...
    Basically I am trying to create an interactive board game that is based off of a book that I read when I was younger. I've come to realize that, as a bare back beginner, its a lot more difficult than I would have ever imagined.
    I have Adobe Flash CS3 as the editor, havent gone too in depth with the program yet as I am still working on editing some pictures, attempting to merge them using Paintbrush (I am guessing that its not the best program to merge certain pieces of a picture to another)
    Again, like I mentioned before, I am brand new, if ANYONE can provide me with some pointers and suggestions, even recommend other programs which are more user friendly, if that is even possible for this kind of work. I am willing to learn if anyone is willing to teach me. For a few years now I have wanted to get this project moving but just didnt know where to start.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Good start, Sdlonyer. Creating the material you'll be using later on in the process.

If you want to make a board-game, I could imagine it would be in 2D. I'm not sure, if you're familiar with the programming language: C++?

I know it's the hardest place to start, so you should probably work your way up there by getting familiar with maybe, Java. But, you should probably briefly take a look at the C++ language - watch/read some tutorials - and then start using the library: SDL. It's a great library for 2D games and it's just what you're looking for.

SOFTWARE:
    Visual Studio 2010 Professional/Standard (not Express)
    SDL Library for C++

TUTORIALS:
    - For SDL, try searching on: Lazy Foo SDL Tutorials, on Google.

- For C++ on the other hand - make an account on 3Dbuzz (.com) and watch their tutorials - top quality and you learn, so-so, much!

Final note: If you haven't got any experience with programming at all, then this is going to be hard - and maybe difficult - process, that easily could take you a couple of months just to learn. But that shouldn't stop you at all!

I hope I helped you just a bit. And if C++ is too overwhelming, then try Java - as I said. Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

Response to FredGaming's Advice

Originally Posted by FredGaming
    Good start, Sdlonyer. Creating the material you'll be using later on in the process.

If you want to make a board-game, I could imagine it would be in 2D. I'm not sure, if you're familiar with the programming language: C++?

I know it's the hardest place to start, so you should probably work your way up there by getting familiar with maybe, Java. But, you should probably briefly take a look at the C++ language - watch/read some tutorials - and then start using the library: SDL. It's a great library for 2D games and it's just what you're looking for.

SOFTWARE:
    Visual Studio 2010 Professional/Standard (not Express)
    SDL Library for C++

TUTORIALS:
    - For SDL, try searching on: Lazy Foo SDL Tutorials, on Google.

- For C++ on the other hand - make an account on 3Dbuzz (.com) and watch their tutorials - top quality and you learn, so-so, much!

Final note: If you haven't got any experience with programming at all, then this is going to be hard - and maybe difficult - process, that easily could take you a couple of months just to learn. But that shouldn't stop you at all!

I hope I helped you just a bit. And if C++ is too overwhelming, then try Java - as I said. Good luck!
    Fred thank you so much for the reply. In all honesty I have been checking this thread every day since I posted it hoping someone would come forward, and I am glad that someone did, so I greatly appreciate the advice you have given me and I am going to take it ALL into consideration.

As for more clarity on what I want to create: Yes, this will only be a 2D project for now, but all the same I want it as interactive as possible. Once I get used to using Java or C++ (I still havent decided yet, might go with the more difficult of the two just to see what I am dealing with) then I may decide to create a 3D game board later.

As for time, I completely understand that it may take awhile for me to get used to using these programs. However, I am one who is willing to learn and will go to great lengths to achieve a goal of mine. On a side note, I am also registered for college in the fall, Business Information Technology. The reason I bring up the specific name is because this program just might give me a little more insight into this particular project I am doing. I also do not plan on waiting until my course starts because, in all honesty, they may not give me any extra information at all concerning Java or C++, which to me sound more like programs for a course targeted at programming only. Therefore I am going to start my research on Java and C++ now rather than wait until then.

I apologize, I am going quite in depth with where I stand as of now. You seem quite knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing. If you wouldn't mind connecting through another means that would be helpful for me, this way if I had any more questions I could contact you directly.
    Thank you again for your input, I am going to start right away now that I have my first stepping stone.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Sdlonyer
    Fred thank you so much for the reply. In all honesty I have been checking this thread every day since I posted it hoping someone would come forward, and I am glad that someone did, so I greatly appreciate the advice you have given me and I am going to take it ALL into consideration.

As for more clarity on what I want to create: Yes, this will only be a 2D project for now, but all the same I want it as interactive as possible. Once I get used to using Java or C++ (I still havent decided yet, might go with the more difficult of the two just to see what I am dealing with) then I may decide to create a 3D game board later.

As for time, I completely understand that it may take awhile for me to get used to using these programs. However, I am one who is willing to learn and will go to great lengths to achieve a goal of mine. On a side note, I am also registered for college in the fall, Business Information Technology. The reason I bring up the specific name is because this program just might give me a little more insight into this particular project I am doing. I also do not plan on waiting until my course starts because, in all honesty, they may not give me any extra information at all concerning Java or C++, which to me sound more like programs for a course targeted at programming only. Therefore I am going to start my research on Java and C++ now rather than wait until then.

I apologize, I am going quite in depth with where I stand as of now. You seem quite knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing. If you wouldn't mind connecting through another means that would be helpful for me, this way if I had any more questions I could contact you directly.
    Thank you again for your input, I am going to start right away now that I have my first stepping stone.
    You're very welcome, glad I could help.

I hope the collage-program you've chosen, greatly helps you - continuously - on the way of learning the languages and software used to create games in both 2D and 3D.

Even though I wouldn't recommend starting at such a high level, - because you might easily slip and give up - then go for it.

I know the feeling of getting to the hardest and most complex level at once sounds much more tempting, then completing different stages of wisdom, if you will, to finally achieve your maximum goal of creating a 2D board-game. But just keep in mind, that even though you might be the most enthusiastic person on the planet, when it comes to creating this board-game of yours, you're still able to give up on your programming journey. Easily.

But - as I said - give it a go, if it's to hard, decrease the difficult-level. You'll by the way always be able to get in touch with be through this thread.

Good luck,
    - Frederick
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Since your going to be studying IT at college have you considered developing the game for a web browser? You can add games on facebook free as long as you meet their restrictions. The main one is fitting their screen size of 760 pixels wide.

Paintbrush isn't a very good tool for artwork. It's complicated to use at first but I'd recommend getting Photoshop CS5. It costs a bit but you should be able to get a student version cheaper.

You can easily learn to code web pages by going to the w3schools web site. You could easily have a prototype display in a few days and be working on a running version soon.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo