Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best Languages to use to make a game

I am fairly new to programming. I wanted to know what are some languages that are best suited for building a game. Specifically a side scrolling action game in the style of Nintindo, or Geneses. Games similar to Castlvania, Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon, Sonic The Hedge Hog. All Advice is welcome.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Search and you will find There is several threads just on this forum debating this topic.

The most important thing is to know what your (system) target will be and how the user interaction should be.
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm in a way quite curios as well. I - personally - would go with C++ and use the SDL Library on the PC, but that's just me.

If I were to develop on the iPhone, what language would suit me best then, when making a side-scrolling action game (i.e. Mario)?
  7. Lord of the Dance

For iPhone, take a look at this site:
    http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

Comments on this post

• FredGaming agrees : Thanks
  9. No Profile Picture

So no one here even has an opinion here as to what language is best for a 2d side scrolling game?
  11. Lord of the Dance

Because there is no best overall language. Each of them have its own strong and weak points.

Please re-read my first post. Without more specific information, it is hard to tell what language would be best for your task.

Have you looked into the suggestion from FredGaming?
  13. No Profile Picture

I'm not an expert on these things, mind you, but I've spent a fair amount of time looking into gaming-oriented languages.

For the iPhone, I think most applications are programmed in Objective C. There are probably ways to use other languages but I haven't heard much about Apple offering much support to others.

A big factor is whether or not you want to make money. For an independent, just-starting programmer, the iPhone market is probably the most likely to give you any income. Though if you program in another language and make a game so phenomenal you just have to put it on the iPhone, you'll probably be capable of recoding into Objective C (you'd have to learn it, but programming languages have a lot of similarities).

Python/Pygame is oriented towards 2D gaming. I think a sidescrolling Mario-type game would be quite doable. I wouldn't commit to Pygame right away. I'm using it, but there are other choices and everyone has different preferences.

C++ seems to be the most powerful language for game design/most used by industry. I haven't learned C languages yet (well, I've learned some C++).

If you want a good intro to programming and are doing this for fun, I'd say Python. If you want to develop iPhone apps/attempt to make money, I'd say Objective C. If you are working towards the goal of becoming a game designer, I'd say C++. If you're going into Computer Science at college, I'd say C++ if you want to be cool, Python if you want to get ahead (it's a popular introductory language now).
  15. No Profile Picture

C++ is popular, yes. But the thing is - it takes a bit to learn, are you up for that?

I personally think Java is the way to go, it comes pre-installed on many systems. Works on Mac OS X (pre-installed), Windows 7 I believe comes pre-installed with it, and your show Linux users some love (they WILL love you).

Java on iOS though, is another story. Might wanna read up on the wikipedia article here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK#Java (new user, can't post links).

Many games do use Java now because of it's cross-platform portability.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Markeh
    C++ is popular, yes. But the thing is - it takes a bit to learn, are you up for that?

I personally think Java is the way to go, it comes pre-installed on many systems. Works on Mac OS X (pre-installed), Windows 7 I believe comes pre-installed with it, and your show Linux users some love (they WILL love you).

Java on iOS though, is another story. Might wanna read up on the wikipedia article here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK#Java (new user, can't post links).

Many games do use Java now because of it's cross-platform portability.
    yea and is hard to learn i was remember when i was trying for a week and the only who i learn it was <hello world>
  19. No Profile Picture

I found this fantastic video set tutorial for Java a long time ago, knew it would be woth bookmarking:

jonah.cs.elon.edu/dpowell2/Courses/EclipseTutorial/Eclipse%20Tutorial%20in%20Video/Eclipse%20Tutorial%20in%20Video.html
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have programmed with C/C++ using Allegro and I am starting to use Java. To me, Java seems easier to use. Though both languages are very close to each other in layout. I took a C++ arcade style game I programmed and with in a few hours completely rewrote it for java with very little changes.

If you're starting out I would try Java over C++ with allegro.

I really only know the basics of both languages. I actually learned/learning java by writing a game rather than doing the hello world examples.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Offensive Member
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I use the XNA framework (C#) with MSVC Express.

I can have a side scroller game up in less than an hour as teh XNA framework handles most of the background tasks.

Plenty of tutes, sprites etc available and all the tools are free.
    The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f***ing mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.

Frank Zappa
  25. No Profile Picture

C++ or Java. (In my opinion)

Both are powerful and platform independent. C++ has been the industry standard for years now, and Java is the "new thing". Working with Java I believe is personally simpler to work with. The good thing about Java, though, is that you can tweak your program a little bit and make it an applet that can run on browsers (if that's something that interests you).

However, I did not that someone uses XNA. This is a great tool for new game developers, I hear. So, you might end up going C#.
  27. No Profile Picture

You can use C and C++ for the iPhone also. I've compiled programs mixing C and objective C for the iPhone no problem.
  29. Contributing User

The HAAF game engine in C++ is pretty badass, but I'm still learning it myself. Lots of tutorials, and plenty of documentation.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo