1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Easy ways to make a pretty good 3D game?

I can make some pretty advanced 2D games, but that's using simple software with a simple, made-up language. I would like to find a language or tools, preferably free, that makes it easy to build a full-featured 3D game. Time isn't a huge concern. Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture

Everybody has to start somewhere I remember back when I first started making games, I tried finding the easiest route - like point-and-click type game creators. Trust me when I say this approach is probably a waste of time. Such systems are generally severely restricted, outdated, or glitchy. You will likely need to learn a serious programming or scripting language. I know its intimidating at first, but trust me when I say it is worth it. Your creative potential will increase tenfold. There are lots of 3D game engines available, some decent ones free. A lot has to do with taste. My personal favorites are Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Basic. I recommend a google search for game engine databases to get a good sampling. Good luck!
  5. No Profile Picture

The game I want to make in 3D is unbelievably simple, so I could probably get away with something easy. I tried 3D Rad but it's not quite right, it seems to go by a few objects and I wanted something with a bit more functionality.
  7. No Profile Picture

Unity engine?
  9. No Profile Picture

This software looks amazing. Downloading the trials as I type. In your experience, what's the performance like compared to C / C++ + DirectX APIs or C# + XNA?

Originally Posted by jeremiahg
    Everybody has to start somewhere I remember back when I first started making games, I tried finding the easiest route - like point-and-click type game creators. Trust me when I say this approach is probably a waste of time. Such systems are generally severely restricted, outdated, or glitchy. You will likely need to learn a serious programming or scripting language. I know its intimidating at first, but trust me when I say it is worth it. Your creative potential will increase tenfold. There are lots of 3D game engines available, some decent ones free. A lot has to do with taste. My personal favorites are Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Basic. I recommend a google search for game engine databases to get a good sampling. Good luck!
  11. No Profile Picture

This looks very impressive also, especially since game logic is done in the Mono implementation of C#. That's unexpected, and very welcome.

Originally Posted by LordNecro
    Unity engine?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Woohoooooo
    This software looks amazing. Downloading the trials as I type. In your experience, what's the performance like compared to C / C++ + DirectX APIs or C# + XNA?
    Those aren't really apples to apples comparisons, as Unity is implemented in C/C++ and uses C#. Unity more compares against other engines such as Torque, UDK, CryEngine, etc... as to how well it compares against those engines... that question can easily start a holy war!
  15. No Profile Picture

I have been using Unity for some time and it's relatively easy to use. You probably won't get a AAA title out of it but seeing as that's not what you want anyway it's probably a good start.
  17. No Profile Picture

I prefer to use OpenGL primitives for everything, but there are a lot of good wrappers out there that would ease the learning curve.

Be warned, though. 3D programming is orders of magnitude more complicated than 2D. Your normal game logic will be dwarfed by the amount of code that goes into terrain, physics, etc.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo