1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New 2D Game Development Engine for Beginners

There's a new 2D game engine out there for beginners. It's great for people who have absolutely no experience with programming, but still want to give game development a shot.
    It's called 3StepStudio and it's developed by GarageGames. The same guys who brought you the wonderful Torque Game Engine.
    Basically how 3SS works is, you first choose a template for the type of game you want to make, and then just go from there. The engine is still very VERY new, so new templates still have to be added.
    But give it a shot! There are forums and even a live chat if you need some help, have questions, or just want to hang out
    If you want to download the program, PM me your e-mail address and I'll make sure you get an invite.

Comments on this post

• blakdavi agrees
  3. No Profile Picture

It seems promising but is it not for Android? And if not at this stage, is there any plan for any game engine that allows game creation for Android Devices too (if at all you know)?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jasonmm1979
    There's a new 2D game engine out there for beginners.
    every game engine is designed or can be used by beginners, you always start as beginner doesnt mean you have to start with a beginner program, why not use something like unity3D? instead of a 2d software that has JUST been created as opposed to a software which has been running for a long time and has enough tutorials for anyone to contribute to.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by M3Gamer
    every game engine is designed or can be used by beginners, you always start as beginner doesnt mean you have to start with a beginner program, why not use something like unity3D? instead of a 2d software that has JUST been created as opposed to a software which has been running for a long time and has enough tutorials for anyone to contribute to.
    Hey there M3Gamer, 3 Step Studio is built on Torque 2D, which was first released a while before Unity Technologies started their company. But it is a very valid point. BTW, full disclaimer, I work at GarageGames, so I might be a little biased. But I also specialize in using a lot of game development technologies to keep a strong grasp on the direction that our competition is moving and how they are getting there. There's some really, really awesome stuff out there. And we're working on some really great stuff at GG as well.

Unity's a great engine. I know quite a few of the guys over there. But it is not necessarily a beginner's engine. It feels comfortable for artists who are used to Max and Maya's workflow and getting content into the engine, but you can hit the ceiling quickly if you are unwilling to learn programming. DevShed's a programmer-centric community, so most people here wouldn't hit that ceiling very fast. But if you look at the rush of frustrated people after Unity Free was announced, you'll see that there was a learning gap. It is a great Intermediate to Advanced engine. And their documentation is getting much better in terms of getting developers up to speed more quickly.

We're looking at the very beginner with 3 Step Studio. We are working to refine the tool and the interface to help new developers get started. And we realize that they will hit the ceiling quickly as they begin learning the basics of game mechanics and balance. We want to help get them past that hump so that they could then move to Torque or Unity or UDK with at least a basic idea of the work that comes with developing a game.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo