1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Arrow Tips for succesful team projects....

1. Game development forums or team projects forums' members frequently get overly excited newbies(or even normal members) who post about their project to create a MMORPG (or any other type of game, really, but MMOGs are the most common). In 99% of the cases, the project never goes anywhere, and usually gets a reply of: you dont know what you're doing!! That's the reason why we are quick to be skeptical about any posted project which does not follow the following guidelines.

2. As mentioned before, make sure you represent yourself in a professional way. Provide us with details on you/your team/your company including current team members and their responsibilities, your website (if you have one; most games only have a website once their game is about to be published) and contact information.

3. Present your game in a good way. That is to say, show us the game concept (including concept art, a plot concept and a game script concept) and the work in progress (models, screen shots, videos showing the game in action) which you already have. Even if you are recruiting, you must be able to prove that your game is not the dream of an overly-excited newbie, so show us more than a dream. Give us a plan. People are more likely to join a game that's in progress than starting from scratch.

4. Give us a reason to be interested in your game and/or participating in the creation of it. Tell us what your game is about, and what its major features will be. Tell us who your audience is and what your plans are for when the game nears the end of its production.

5. If you are recruiting, dont expect others to do the work for you(unless you pay the of course) tell us what's in it for us. Many people ask for others to join their project, but why should we? Unless you pay them forget it.
    A smaller team that communicates well is more likely to get a project with objects that look they belong together.

6. spk proper english. Use proper grammar, spelling, syntax and punctuation. There is nothing worse than presenting yourself by misspelling a word in every other sentence.

Key points to remember:
    Don't underestimate the time it will take to finish- even for a game studio it might take a year or 2 to finish a game.

Only present your game when you have something to show for it.(i.e some progress going on, dont plan on making the next crysis! your first game will never always be the best.)

Not changing your ideas hugely mid-production- dont start of with an RTS then a 3rd person and end up with a fps

additional tips are requested from the community and shall be added if appropriate- thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving this for future use.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your contribution tommelvin, I've have indeed gathered information from various resources and have been through numerous articles that explain this issue.

I hope it helps you in your project or any other use you might find for it.
  7. No Profile Picture

The points provided by you are very beneficial. Some tips are very much necessary when a team project is going on... All the team members should follow a definite sequence through which the work get completes.....
  9. No Profile Picture

I think these tips are worth in any kind of team projects, but not only in developing game.
  11. No Profile Picture

A proper timeline

A well laid-out timeline, complete with goals and deadlines will take you and your team far.

The game I'm working on uses a task manager software and there is a person on the team that goes around making sure everyone is on the same page. The software encourages professionalism because it holds everyone to the same accountability level.

Just like any other project, setting up a good plan and deadline will motivate a team to finish. otherwise, like in most cases, developers have a tendency to get burnt out and quit.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo