1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The Ultimate GTA-Like Game I am Making

So I always wanted to be a game creator/designer when I grew up.

And I don't really have the time to learn computer languages and stuff, especially more tempted to not learn when there's engines. In a way, kinda lazy, but alright.

So I am thinking making a Grand Theft Auto-like game, but more aiming towards a realism or real life with a whole bunch of customization and stuff just like in real life. Games nowaday seem to be missing the point and the ideas just aren't as creative anymore. GTA was awesome when I first came out because it was funny in general.

Anyway, I am planning on using one of the 3 engines, I'd like to know whether any of you would recommend one of the 3. Reason is, I need to use a free engine so I don't have to get permission, all that crap and divide the money IF I do succeed.

They are the Unreal Engine using the UDK(Unreal Development Kit), 3DRad, and Unity3D which I haven't checked out yet.

For about 10 minutes I used 3D Rad and it seems very basic with minimal coding, only scripts which I could copy and paste from other demo projects the game engine came with.

UDK, I have no idea how it looks like, but I have used the Source's Hammer (map designer and game creating program) of Source SDK, got lipsynching and Bethesda's Creation Kit.

I know the basics of modeling in Blender and some in 3DS Max.

So yea, I'm not sure which one is the most user-friendly, but hopefully not one where it's a pain in the butt to lipsynch or just do basic functions, example Bethesda's Skyrim, where you have to convert the audio 3 times to get it to work in-game.

And yes, if any of you have knowledge on the 3 game engines, do tell.

I'm planning on making a hardcore Saints Row 3 game, and I've played/beat Sleeping Dogs which I think uses the Unreal Engine, so did they do like a bunch of coding to get the game to have its functions, like a GTA game. Cuz I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution and it's quite different. The less the coding, the better, just design and stuff should be good.

So far, I've only used 3D Rad and it seems very user-friendly.

Oh and I am pretty adept with hammer for Source SDK. I just need to make it able to do a gta game without being laggy for too many npcs.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo