1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Clipper 1984-85 database developement language

Hello everyone,

I have decide to try and work on a older Game source code to bring it back from death. The game was a PBM(Play by Mail)/PBEM (Play by Email) game called Midgard. It came out in 1984/85, and the game source code was written in Clipper that was developed by Nantucket Software, and it is a database developement language and DOS based.

Now I am obtaining the code as no one seems to be able to make it work, but they have the code and it did work. Now I have found a web site that still sells the different versions of Clipper and the Nantucket tool kits so that the code can compile and run. Next I have even purchased (3) reference books to read up in the hopes I can get a feel for how the syntax works and the code works. Next I need to figure out what version of Clipper the source is written in, and what version of MS DOS I need to run the game on.

The game is a turn based Tactical Clan based Strategy game with mostly syntax orders that manipulated the specific clan's data and moved it around the game world, plus there were Written Special Actions that were moderated via a Game Mod. My goal is to breath life back into the game for myself as the GM and a small group of friends that like me like the slower monthly turns.

Anyway I have written a Author of three Clipper books asking for some insight and advice on this funtime project. I am not looking to do anything but to bring the game back to life and allow it to be able to be played again.

Now I was thinking I might try my hand at recreating the game with using PostgreSQL 9.2 db, and using SQL Plus to rewrite the game logic and create the tables and reports that are used to create the players data which is their turns.

So I guess I am looking for advise here on how to determine what version of Clipper the source code is written in? The former owners are unsure, also what version of MS DOS do you think it might use 3.0 or what. I know that 5.0 was the most stable but depending on what version of Clipper it is, I might have a level limit.

I view this as a long time hobby labor of love project and not a money maker at all. I was thinking about making a website that members could plug away at the recode for all to eventually get a cool working game from. Most of the members are IT forlks like me and we are just looking to have a bit of fun with this.

So anyone know anything about Clipper 1984-85 versions?
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; November 20th, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I sent a email to the author John Mueller whom wrote three books on Clipper back in 1990 and he was helpful in his advise. It would appear MS DOS 6.0 should work fine on old style PC. I guess I will need to first get a old PC up and running and then get MS DOS loaded and running and then load Clipper 1985, then the game code and see if i can figure out what it is doing. I have also bought off of Amazon 3 books that should aid me in understanding the code of the game and seeing what and how it does things. If I can get a working lab of the way the code was suppose to work in the day, then I can figure out what to do next.

Ahh baby steps, one step at a time!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo