Thread: A bold Idea.

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A bold Idea.

A little about me first.

I'm 22, all my life I have been passionate about video games, and growing up my biggest dream was being part of the creation of the thing's I saw in games. I wanted my ideas, my work, my creations to be on that screen in front of me some day. Well things never work out the way we dream. At 19 I joined the Air Force, and right now I'm two months into my first deployment. For several years I've been working on a book, a fantasy. I never have the time to write much of my story down but all of it is jumbled up, dancing around constantly in my mind. I eat, sleep, live, and breathe the lore and story of my book.

Now, this Idea you (probably) came here for.

A few days (yes this idea is that fresh, but I have thought about it constantly for several days) ago I got this idea after reading an article about designing games in an issue of game informer from last year, (my squadron doesn't have an active subscription) and I decided to try to turn my book into a game idea. Now I'm waist deep in game making programs, including RPG Maker, Game Maker, Game Maker Studio, a sprite making program, Unreal Development Kit, and even the Warcraft 3 World Editor. I've never been to school for programming but I have dabbled with Java and the W3 World Editor scripting, I have zero artistic ability (though I do have a trusted friend from back home who is a great artist, and is already working on concept art for me) and, I have no inclination for marketing and business. All three of those things are (according to the countless web articles and blogs I've read) are key factors in designing and developing a game. This brings me to my main point, and the reason I hunted down a development forum to post in. Everything I've read about doing this in these few days has been EXTREMELY disheartening. Everywhere I turn to read someone is saying "It can't be done", "You won't succeed", "You must already be in the industry for anything to happen with your game, or make it yourself, and even then you won't find a publisher and it will never be big." Despite all this, I am not giving up. I will see this game designed, developed, and published. Being a gamer I believe I have some great idea's on what gamers love, and what attracts them to certain games. I'm not saying I know this better than everyone else, I just know that those people are afraid of taking the risk, because it could cost them money. So I am here, typing this today, hoping you will read it. I am looking for people like me, with simply passion, or skills, that want to be known for something and have nothing to lose, and can take the risks required to make an incredible game with me.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi wakkatata,

I am an experienced developer in general but I have limited experience with game development. I am very interested in building a game - specifically an MMO. I have previously had an attempt that was going quite well. Both server and client were written in C++ and the client would run on Windows, Linux and MAC. The game was based in space and while there was not really any game content there - a lot of the fundamentals were there that were ready to be built upon. (ie. You could log in, fly around, mine asteroids, interact with other players, and it had a working distributed server architecture, etc)

While building this I was brimming with various idea's about what to do with the game (content wise) but I was a little held back by the lack of graphical content and development really stalled when the person I was working with (who was really someone who worked through idea's with me, not a coder) had some personal changes that made it very difficult for him to continue.

I took a break for about a year and now I have the bug again so have started looking at it again.

I have decided to start from scratch for three main reasons. Firstly, there are some fundamental game mechanics that I wanted to change. (I wanted to make it both space and ground, with the game starting on the ground instead of space) Second, I wanted to revise how the lower level side of the server distribution/load-balancing worked. The final straw here was that I discovered just how much WebGL has come on nowadays and decided I wanted to build the client in a browser instead of a downloadable application. (There are quite a number of advantages to this, and a few drawbacks)

I saw your post and your passion for wanting to do something that is generally considered impossible for people to do without the backing of a large development team and budget caught my attention. I think my own ambitions are probably a bit more outrageous than yours, but hey, it doesn't stop me trying. I already made quite a substantial start once and can tell you that to do this sort of thing on your own is not even remotely easy, and is an insane amount of work. (particularly for the coder)

Anyway, that's about me and where I am. Was not really looking to partner up with anyone this time (not saying I would not consider it though) but I was going to have to look for contributors for graphics and sound content at some point. I just saw your post with no answers and thought I would at least say hello.

Maybe you could share a bit about your idea? You mentioned it was 'fantasy' but that is about it. What kind of game were you hoping to build? single player? multi player, MMO? You thinking about an RPG, FPS, etc?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey,

Thanks for stopping in to say hello. I left out details intentionally because I wanted to see the kind of replies the minimal amount of description of my game would get here. I will fill you in. Since I created this thread, things have changed. I started out wanting an MMO, then went to a single player, now I'm settled on single/multiplayer Action RPG. I want the multiplayer aspect to be the focus, without retracting from the single player experience. I want a game similar in play style to the Diablo series, with my own twist. I did some research and it seems that genre is resurfacing and has been gaining some popularity lately (along with the Strategy/sim build and defend genre). I realize that creating a game is no easy task, and I look forward to the many challenges. I've come up with a few unique ideas and think they will work very nicely in the genre.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo