1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Want to be a game designer, What program should I learn

I'll try to be as specific as I can about my goals.

I want to be a game designer and I have no programming experience. I know that I must learn a programming language and I'm trying to figure out which one should I start with. I will be mostly self taught using tools online and buying books when I can. I know that I probably shouldn't start with C/C++ or Java as a beginner.

My goals is to eventually become a RPG designer. I want to make large scale ARPGs and probably turn based ones too. Those are my end goals however. My beginning goals are to make games small scale 2D based RPG style games.

My platforms would include Playstation, PC, Nintendo (possibly) and maybe, as of now no, Xbox.

My question is which language/s would be best to learn to create games on the PS (my main preferred) platform and what's the most basic that will most easily lead to the more advanced language.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

C (tiny, quick to learn), then C++ (so huge that nobody uses all of it, but OOP is extremely useful for programming simulations -- which is how games are most typically modeled).

Those are the only languages that you will be able to hit most/all platforms with, particularly consoles. Each console often has its own vendor-supplied/recommended libraries and development kits, but most of them work in roughly the same way or are idiomatically similar.

Keep in mind that your goal is a 5-year learning curve type goal, and that's if you can remain disciplined and apply yourself. I recommend learning programming in general before trying to dive into games programming. In other words, start with "hello, world", move on to argument handling, file I/O, text interface, networking, db interface, graphic interface (windowing in X, for example), and then maybe start getting interested in writing a game. By that time things will make a lot more sense and you'll be much better prepared to make a decision to pursue game development as a career or not.

I also recommend starting with using just a text editor and doing manual builds while you learn. You can mess with IDEs and build systems later on. If you really want to target different platforms you'll find that there isn't really a standard IDE set for everything and its extremely helpful to actually understand what is happening behind the IDE or build system if you want to easily adapt to different IDEs later on. You'll also find that some new platforms and environments won't have any IDE available at all early on, so if you want to be on the demo game list for a platform you've got to develop an understanding of how that platform works and manage your own builds while the platform itself is still in the final stages of development (less of a concern if you're primarily targetting the big three platforms, of course: Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have pretty much settled on their own ways of doing things).
    Last edited by zxq9; August 23rd, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

The best language for game programming, hands down, is C++. You can do it in other languages to varying degrees, but C++ is where the money is for game programming. Learn to write good, efficient code, since speed is key in game programming.
  7. No Profile Picture

I bet you should learn C++ and some 3d-modelling software. Read books on game development. Study topical forums and communities on RPG. Try to make mod for your favorite game.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo