Ok, Here's the deal Devshed Guru's.
First off, I hope this is the right area to post. If not, my apologies as I'm sure the Mod Gods will ensure a proper lashing.
ok, back to the project.
I am currently using a crappy program that is old and produces a lot of errors. This program tracks the hours that personnel fly. I am now interested in building a newer form of this program in an attempt to make my life(and a few others) easier.
The file attached is the program we are currently using. It contains most of the primary data information required in the new project. This program covers the basics, (as they stood 10 years ago). For the most part if you can upgrade this, the rest should be a piece of cake as far as DB relationships go.
What I'm looking for:
1. ABSOLUTELY IDIOT PROOF! I have a lot of them working around here and want to avoid as many system crashes as possible. C'Mon I've got idiots drooling on the keyboards checking out the porn sites. These guys aren't too swift so the program shouldn't be too complicated for them to handle. Also should look real cool to keep their attention. Maybe some flashy thingy's would help (Not sure of the technical terms
2. Self-installing is preferred, I'd hate to have to figure that one out.
3. I do want the program to have the ability to back-up itself, and individual records (for transport to another system), on a web-based site (site coming at a later date), CD-RW, another folder on the computers drive, or even a floppy, etc...
(Floppy Disk is the only current option, and that sucks when your A: drive goes bad)
4. Ability to print approx. 15 more reports not in the current program. (Forms will be provided) Also, Printing options will need a definite upgrade. I mean really, check out the choices of printers we've got in this program. I dont think any of them even exist in scrapyards anymore.
5. Program will need to have a password screen. Program will resort to this screen after a set time, 30 minutes sounds good. That way the operators wont have to enter their passwords after their short naps.
6. Program MUST be able to read the data produced by the current program, and write it as well as an option. (Meaning program should be backward compatible when requested, even if it requires 1 back-up disk for the old program and 1 for the new)
7. Last but definitley not least, If you have viewed the way this program operates, you will see that the GUI gets the job done, but is pitiful in appearance. I definitely need something that stands out in this area.
Upon completion of the project I will require the complete database, source codes, executables, and any relationship diagrams available. I will maintain all ownership rights to the product.
It can't be a full screen app, as I do plan on building additional programs to work with this one immediately following the completion of this project.
My later plan is for numerous computers in different states to be able to log into 1 web-based site to back up data, or to submit/retrieve specific personnel files.
(The web-based site is not a priority right now)
Sample personnel files will be provided if requested.
Feel free to request any information or clarification if I missed anything.
Hopefully this is the right place to post, I dont want it deleted after all that!!