Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. class Dude {_o|0_}
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Freelancer Websites

After a bit of googling, I've came across a good number of "hire a coder" sites with varying quality both in terms of freelancers available and jobs offered.

What I'd like to have in this thread is links to known freelancer sites with a brief review on their quality, possibly their fees listed, and any other relevant information.

Both your own experiences as well as information on known, reputable sites are welcome.
  3. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

www.scriptlance.com suxs, the pay is not good, users do project for $5.00
    http://www.php-freelancers.com/ havent really tried it.. but sorta complicated. Also the site is pretty slow.
  5. Salaryman
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

guru.com has a lot of projects, but they really screw you. If you don't subscribe, they take 10% of the project cost as their fee from the coder. If you pay like $300 a year, they only screw you out of 5%. If get a lot of work off their it would probably be worth it, but I still think that's pretty rough.

I have been bidding on php-freelancers.com for the last week and it seems kind of goofy, usually only one or two new projects posted a day and it seems like many people post jobs then never come back and assign them. I have never gotten any kind of response from my postings.

elance.com is pretty big, but its similar to guru where they charge a fair amount of money to bid plus a commission I think. I never bothered making an account on there.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by baddy
    guru.com has a lot of projects, but they really screw you. If you don't subscribe, they take 10% of the project cost as their fee from the coder. If you pay like $300 a year, they only screw you out of 5%. If get a lot of work off their it would probably be worth it, but I still think that's pretty rough.

I have been bidding on php-freelancers.com for the last week and it seems kind of goofy, usually only one or two new projects posted a day and it seems like many people post jobs then never come back and assign them. I have never gotten any kind of response from my postings.

elance.com is pretty big, but its similar to guru where they charge a fair amount of money to bid plus a commission I think. I never bothered making an account on there.
    Agreed. The likes of elance do take a hefty whack out of the successful bidders, even though they already charge for subscription. I certainly have no intention of getting involved with them as they have helped me appreciate eBay/Paypal's fees more. It's also difficult to bid when you're being undercut on projects by those operating from places such as India and Pakistan - with ridiculous rates that make the projects pointless.

Perhaps some coders on here might wish to develop a site to take these people on? I'm willing ... a freelancers site for freelancers by freelancers?

There is one site which is predominantly UK based. http://www.freelancers.net - Not that many projects on there, though but it is free.
  9. fork while true;

I'll get to it.

Im a freelancer myself, so Im just looking at making the site and then covering running costs (ads perhaps?)

Then lets see where it goes...
  11. Only the strong survives!!.

Originally Posted by LinuxPenguin
    I'll get to it.

Im a freelancer myself, so Im just looking at making the site and then covering running costs (ads perhaps?)

Then lets see where it goes...
    So your saying that your going to create a freelance website?? if so... you better hollar at a nigga.
  13. fork while true;

Originally Posted by xlordt
    So your saying that your going to create a freelance website?? if so... you better hollar at a nigga.
    No, making a site like rentacoder or something for freelancers...
  15. I have a red lunch bag
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Personally, I like Rent A Coder. I've done a few jobs on there and haven't had any problems. Their fee is like 15% or $3, whichever is greater, but that can be cut down a little bit if you can convince the other party to pay through a method that doesn't cost Rent A Coder as much to process. Before you leave a bid, it will confirm and tell you exactly how much you'll make after the fees and give you a chance to convert it to your local currency.

Everyone is rated by the other party after ever job, but it's not mandatory. That will let you look up someone's rating before you offer to do a job for them.

It's a bit tough starting out since you have no rating, but once you get going it's easier. There's also articles written by the top coders giving some tips to help those starting out.

The best thing is that there are a lot of jobs available in almost anything.

There's more info on the site.
    Web Design Tips - Posting and You

If I've been helpful, and/or you're really nice, consider buying something from my Amazon.com wishlist.
    • There is no room for pride when trying to be the best at what you do.
    • Friends don't let friends use bad code.
    The club is dead.
  17. Only the strong survives!!.

Rent A Coder charges alot as well.. but pretty organized though.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

http://www.lotsolance.com - still in development, but I've seen the development side and it blows scriptlance.com out of the water. I've used scriptlance and I like the idea of Lotsolance cause they take no comission, strictly project listing fees which are still really low. I hear it's expected to launch in the next 2 months.
    Webnet
    Site Administrator
    admin@rnsnetwork.com -http://www.rnsnetwork.com
  21. Only the strong survives!!.

The bad part about scriptlance is that you have..
    • Alot of cheap buyers
    • alot of source cutting freaks!!
    for a job that is worth just about 85% more.
  23. Salaryman

Originally Posted by cybersaga
    Personally, I like Rent A Coder. I've done a few jobs on there and haven't had any problems. Their fee is like 15% or $3, whichever is greater, but that can be cut down a little bit if you can convince the other party to pay through a method that doesn't cost Rent A Coder as much to process. .
    If you ask me, 15% commission is freaking insane. I guess it doesn't sting on smaller ones, but anything worth a few hundred dollars or more, that 15% would really suck some food money out of your pockets.

Comments on this post

• xlordt agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by baddy
    If you ask me, 15% commission is freaking insane. I guess it doesn't sting on smaller ones, but anything worth a few hundred dollars or more, that 15% would really suck some food money out of your pockets.
    I don't know about anyone else here but my own preference would be for a subscription-only service ... with low monthly subscription rates of around $5 per month.

Unfortunately a big problem at the moment is that most of the project offers available on the existing services from buyers suck big time, making the services practically worthless - you'd be far better canvassing the businesses in your area for decent paid work.

A lot of the jobs on offer are worth far more than 85% more than the buyers are willing to pay. I've seen people wanting full ecommerce sites for less than $250. Unfortunately they'll still get bidded on.
  27. I have a red lunch bag
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I don't mind the 15% of Rent A Coder as that is exactly what we pay in sales tax here in Ontario (7% federal, 8% provincial). That, and after the exchange, I usually end up pocketing the same amount before the deduction, but in Canadian funds (i.e. If the job's worth $50US, they take away $7.50US, and I get $51.56CDN). So I just look at prices as if they were Canadian dollars.

The other thing with commission vs. subscription is that in a commission situation, the site doesn't get paid if you don't got work. So chances are they'd be willing to help you in some form. I can easily see a site just not giving a damn about you because they're still getting paid.
    Web Design Tips - Posting and You

If I've been helpful, and/or you're really nice, consider buying something from my Amazon.com wishlist.
    • There is no room for pride when trying to be the best at what you do.
    • Friends don't let friends use bad code.
    The club is dead.
  29. Only the strong survives!!.

Originally Posted by tickled_pink
    I've seen people wanting full ecommerce sites for less than $250. Unfortunately they'll still get bidded on.
    Yes i agree, i have seened it done for $150.00 the full version clone of osc, but.. its security flaw's was really out of controll.. that customer then hade to find someone to path the script up ( ME ) i asked for $300.00 because i hate reading someone else codes.. plus the coding still was really ugly, and he sais "What!! But i paid $150.00 for this.. how can you ask for more?" So i told him and explained to him why... yet he wanted it done for $100.00
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo