1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Front End Developers needed for the hottest start up in the world! London, UK

Are you an experienced or up-and-coming Front End Rockstar who is ready to become part of the next Social Media company to revolutionise the world, like Facebook and Twitter?

A Front End Rockstar is required by my client, who are taking the market by storm with their cutting edge, never seen before product that has already revolutionised the industry. With the backing of technology pioneers and inventors within the 2.0 space, my client already has hundreds of thousands of users and many of the worlds most influential organisations knocking on their door. They WILL be the next big name in the social world, and their product is heavily device oriented.

Make no mistake - this will be invaluable on your portfolio, and the company is offering life changing equity in the business. You will also have the opportunity to work with next generation technologies like Node.js, Hadoop, MongoDB and more! Do not miss out!

The Candidate:

You, the Front End Rockstar, will have extensive experience in a Web Development capacity with a strong focus on JavaScript, HTML and CSS with all the trimmings. My client is adding multiple people to the team, so candidates of all skill levels are encouraged to apply!

You should have a sound knowledge of JavaScript, including OO / Object Oriented knowledge, and will be able to talk intelligently about associated libraries and frameworks (e.g. JQuery, Prototype). Ideally you will have experience of high transactional or data heavy websites/web applications, but this is only necessary for more Senior applicants.

Ideally you should be comfortable within an Agile/Scrum and be comfortable unit testing your code.

Any experience with newer libraries like Node.js, Backbone.js, along with NoSQL technologies like Hadoop, MongoDB etc would be highly advantageous.

In Return:

You, the Front End Rockstar, will receive an exceptionally competitive salary along with excellent company benefits. You will also gain invaluable experience working within this fast paced, dynamic environment that will add significant value to your portfolio.

If you believe you have the ability to excel as a Front End Rockstar and you are skilled in all aspects of JavaScript / Front End Development, please send your CV to Aaron Neale at Stott & May

aaron.neale [aatt] stottandmay.com
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most of the members here are not citizens of the UK. Is this an on-site position or will people from outside the UK who don't wish to relocate be considered as well?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Kravvitz,

It's onsite in the UK I'm afraid - I wish it was more flexible!

I'm hoping to attract guys from the rest of Europe who would be open to moving to London for something life changing.

Thanks

Aaron
  7. Sarcky

Also, if they're a paradigm shifting cross-coordinating industry head-turner with hundreds of thousands of clients...who are they?

This job description sounds like the standard over-sell we see from every recruiter on here. MongoDB and Hadoop are competing technologies, why are they used together? Hundreds of thousands of users is nothing for a social site, they're not changing the industry until they hit 25,000,000. Why do you mention so many so much back-end tech when the ad is for a front-end person?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your valuable post..

The technologies mentioned are all those being used within the business in one area or another, or are still being chosen from.

The client looks for Guru's or upcoming Guru's, and these people tend to be polyglots and have exposure to the backend despite being a Front End Developer because they are passionate about all things 'technical'. I'm not prepared to publicly disclose who it is, but will discuss it with interested parties from Europe.

They are a British company and will soon be launching in America. Also, I never said this was a 'Social Site', I said they were the next big thing and a comparable to FB and Twitter. In fact, they will easily beat FB and Twitter's 'users after 6 months'. They are also extremely young. If you would like to measure their success on the number of UK users they have achieved in this time without any other information, go ahead.

I'm glad your curiosity has been enough to generate a reply, but for the sake of other serious readers of this post, I can assure you I have not inflated the description of this company. FYI, even the below average English contingent recruiters are considerably superlative in comparison to those in the States (no offence) so I would appreciate it if you reserved your stereotype for those using Monster or Careerbuilder.

Regards,

Aaron
  11. Sarcky

When telling someone to stop stereotyping, it's a good idea not to stereotype an entire continent's worth of recruiters.

Also, you still haven't answered "who are they" so I'm still assuming you're full of it.

Your definition of "social site" needs a bit of work as well. They're not a social network but they're like facebook? They're not expected to have very many users but they're going to beat facebook's numbers? How? Why? What?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture

Firstly, you stereotyped recruiters globally, I simply defended what I know is true.

Again, as mentioned in my reply, I'm not going into detail about them in public - it's pointless. Why are you so interested?

I've given plenty of information in my ad that would encourage interested people to approach me directly should they be serious about finding out more. Whats the point of me telling people too much about a company so they work out who it is and then make a decision based on their website? How will they know what their growth plans are? What markets they are going into? Technical direction? Thought leaders involved?

I think you need to re-read my reply before you start asking me to explain myself. If you had taken the time to read my reply properly, you will see that I never said they were a Social Site. I used the word 'comparable' - I'm referring to the scale and social uptake of FB and Twitter, but yes, it's a social platform.

Who said they were not expecting to have many numbers? Are you serious? Where are you getting your information from?

Yes, clearly I'm 'full of it'. In fact, I came on here to completely waste my time about a company that doesn't exist, just to then waste my time further speaking to candidates about this non-existent company so I can ruin a reputation I've built up over a decade......and yes, I'm being sarcastic. Get real.

Please, get out of my thread. You are wasting my time and yours. I made it clear in my earlier post that this is intended for European candidates, and you are here just to try and antagonise me without reason. I'm offering people a life changing career move and you are clearly jealous. Take it elsewhere buddy, we've both got better things to do.
  15. Sarcky

Fight those stereotypes with more stereotypes, that'll teach us! Seriously, you have absolutely zero credibility when you say "stop stereotyping recruiters, Americans are way worse than Brits." Just...stop, it's dumb.

As for my reading ability, let's play the quotes game!

Originally Posted by All you!
    the next Social Media company to revolutionise the world, like Facebook and Twitter [...] They WILL be the next big name in the social world [...] I never said this was a 'Social Site' [...] I never said they were a Social Site [...] yes, it's a social platform
    Boy that sure is straightforward and easy to understand. Are you saying they're going to be "social" without being a social site, and you can compare them to twitter and facebook in terms of...something without comparing them in terms of...something else? Do they sell advertising? Do they data mine for demographics? Do they make those stupid sites that only "unlock" once someone shares it on facebook?

Yes, clearly I'm 'full of it'. In fact, I came on here to completely waste my time about a company that doesn't exist, just to then waste my time further speaking to candidates about this non-existent company so I can ruin a reputation I've built up over a decade......and yes, I'm being sarcastic. Get real.
    I said it was an over-sell. Do you have any idea how many times I've heard "they'll be bigger than facebook"? You think this company will easily beat facebook's numbers in the first six months? Are they giving away free super models with every account? You're trolling for "Guru's" (spelled wrong) on a free enthusiasts' forum, with a brand new account with exactly zero "reputation" to speak of, both in the literal sense (we have a reputation system) and in the figurative sense (nobody knows who you are).

Please, get out of my thread.
    As a mod, they're all my threads, which is a power move I absolutely hate to play. You should be grateful that these bumps are keeping your paradigm-changing opportunity at the top of the thread. and yes, I'm being sarcastic. Get real.

I made it clear in my earlier post that this is intended for European candidates, and you are here just to try and antagonise me without reason.
    I'm here because I happened to read your post and rolled my eyes so hard I gave myself vertigo. On the off chance that some of our more talented European users stumbled upon it, I wanted to challenge some of the assertions in this post.

I'm offering people a life changing career move and you are clearly jealous.
    Bahahahahahahahaa. Hee hee. Ooooh man. Good one. I needed that this morning, woo. I've heard that line so many times, and in every single case the company went nowhere. A real opportunity doesn't need someone standing next to it insisting that it's awesome.

Take it elsewhere buddy, we've both got better things to do.
    My job involves a lot of consulting, and a lot of conference calls. I can sit here and break these arguments down all day. However, I'm done at this point because I've discovered the thing that everyone discovers when they delve too deep into a sales pitch like this: There's no content. You have presented us with these facts:
    - England
    - Hadoop
    - MongoDB
    - JavaScript (jQuery, Prototype)
    - "Social" without being social

That's all. Nearly 2 pages of text and those are the salient points from all your posts. No industry, no business description, a vague "social" designation which apparently pisses you off when we try to clarify, and absolutely none of what you would normally see in a job posting such as this, like salary range, experience, or an actual company/job description.

Good luck finding your "Guru's", I was simply asking (a) who they are and (b) why the posting was so hyperbolic and contradictory. Your answer is apparently "stop being such a jerk." Enjoy your time here.
    Last edited by ManiacDan; March 16th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

17. No Profile Picture

Dan, seriously, I read the first line of this crap and gave up. You're clearly angry about something and arguing with yourself because you're either unemployed or lonely. Seriously, nobody cares what you have to say on this subject.

Crack on.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Out of curiosity, seeing as I am in the UK, out of work and with a wealth of IT experience ...
    Originally Posted by DevHunter
    ... with their cutting edge, never seen before product that has already revolutionised the industry.
    If it's not been seen before, how has it already done it's revolutionising?

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : hehehe
    • RAJ_55555 agrees : roflmao!!
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  21. No Profile Picture

Hi Simon,

A good question. I should clarify.

- It's not been seen before now
    - In the time it's public (5 months or so), it has revolutionised things. To be as specific as I can be, some of the most recognised names (companies) in the world are now behind it/supporting it/integrating it etc.

If you are keen and have the skills needed, please drop me a line directly. My advert is there to peak interest and is intended to encourage people to get in touch with me directly to find out more about the whole picture, not just snippets of information.

Thanks,

Aaron
  23. They're coming to take me away

So.. If this company has been made public, why are you keeping it private?

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DevHunter
    Hi Simon,

A good question. I should clarify.

- It's not been seen before now
    - In the time it's public (5 months or so), it has revolutionised things. To be as specific as I can be, some of the most recognised names (companies) in the world are now behind it/supporting it/integrating it etc.

If you are keen and have the skills needed, please drop me a line directly. My advert is there to peak interest and is intended to encourage people to get in touch with me directly to find out more about the whole picture, not just snippets of information.

Thanks,

Aaron
    Sorry, missed the reply!
    There's a lot of conflicting information here, that or lack of communication ...
    "not been seen before" stands alone and does not require any additional qualification as it is implicit that it means 'before now' (now meaning time of post). You then go on to say it has been 'out there' for five months. Both cannot be accurate - unless the product is, was or will be a time machine ...
    If there is one thing that a couple of decades of working with computers and people has taught me it is that there is a need for clear and accurate language. That was drilled into me, almost before I started my career when I was given a course in an in-house query language. I was, soon after, asked (as a rush job) to come up with a query to answer a question raised in parliament. Despite the rush I had to spend a while asking my boss's boss's boss to clarify just what was required.

In my experience any company getting behind a product will trumpet the fact to the high heavens, if they see it as making them look good or appeal to 'da yoof'. Admittedly I am out of the loop nowadays but I am struck by the resounding silence on this score.

A job is a job is a job, and I would only consider myself to be a 'Front End Rockstar' if my name was Geddy Lee, Roger Daltrey or Lemmy ... You are either a programmer/coder (if you know what you are doing) or a code monkey if you don't If you are truly good, you might be a bit of an oracle or guru., but 'rock star' ... oh, please!

As I happen to dislike the very concept of the existing social networks, let alone the aberration (in my view) that is Twitter, I think I may not be the one you seek to help put this product out - which, anyway, having been public for five months, surely the development is all over?
    Last edited by SimonJM; March 25th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  27. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    As I happen to dislike the very concept of the existing social networks, let alone the aberration (in my view) that is Twitter, I think I may not be the one you seek to help put this product out - which, anyway, having been public for five months, surely the development is all over?
    Is the development of Facebook over?

I find it interesting how some people so strongly dislike Twitter. I suppose the signal to noise ratio isn't particularly good, but it is an interesting medium.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Is the development of Facebook over?

I find it interesting how some people so strongly dislike Twitter. I suppose the signal to noise ratio isn't particularly good, but it is an interesting medium.
    I fear it is not! A bit of hyperbole on my behalf, ably supported by the hot air surrounding the advert ... Facebook and Twitter are just not my thing, at all. I can see how people can like them, and how they can be useful. But, as I said, not for me. I am lucky enough that I have insufficient friends that if I want them to know something I can phone them up or, heaven forfend, walk round and tell them
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo