1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help getting a rough estimate

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much it would cost to develop a site on the scale of vrbo.com?

I have the opportunity to take over development of a site similar to vrbo.com but with a different angle. The previous developer took the upfront money($4,000) and ran. I'm thinking he ignored bids with a realistic bids and went straight for the "too good to be true" low bid. I'm trying to convince the potential client that a site on the scale of vrbo.com is a huge investment and he should severely reduce his requirement to match his budget.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would ballpark vrbo.com at $150k - $300k USD.

$4k wouldn't even cover the architectural design work for a site like that.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; March 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you

Thank you for saving me from wasting time. I told the potential client about the 6 figure estimates I got from you and another forum I posted too. I couldn't convinced him to scale down expectation and/or up the amount he is willing to spend. He seems to think that because his craigslist post resulted in multiple people bidding less than $10,000 that it can be done for that amount. Wow, even after being taken by the original developer, he is still in denial. News Flash, craigslist is full of people who will take your money and run. Additionally, there are people who are so desperate for work that they will bid on projects even though they don't have a clue how many hours would be involved.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo