1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking in need of some help please

hey
    im a young webmaster with approx. 5-6 years of experience
    (im only 16, but coding comes easily/naturally)
    just looking for some work...in need of some money
    and its almost impossible to find a job these days
    i know html (of course), php, flash, c++ (maybe it will come in handy with other languages), some mysql (never got far into that), and i think parts of a couple others but i rarely code in anything other than php or html
    one example of my work: http://www.thegodsofwar.com
    (i was the original webmaster, the whole layout and almost every completed page was made by me, but i made the mistake of trusting that the guy i was doing it for would pay me...and he decided he wouldnt, put his name in the credits, changed password to ftp, and we fought back and forth for a while until i finally stopped talking to him...if you dont believe im the webmaster (lol) do a search for posts made by quicksilver in the forums and youll see how much ive talked about the design)
    ive also done work for the webmaster of this site:
    [URL REMOVED]
    but he never paid me and i havent seen him for a very long time so i gave up with him
    i have a few other examples of my work but theyre either down or i dont remember the URL

i dont charge much...only about 60 bucks per php page or 45 per html page
    if youd like to negotiate with me on that thats fine

so...if any one here is in need of some help or knows someone who does
    please contact me at defdrums8@netscape.net
    -or-
    AOL Instant Message me at: catleptcnihilist
    -or-
    just post here and ill check up on it regularly...
    Last edited by drgroove; November 5th, 2003 at 12:02 PM.
  3. Contributing User

A bit misleading page title there, isn't it? Nonetheless, best of luck. Everyone and their grandma is calling themselves a webmaster nowadays, people who really want to be one have to strive to make themselves stand out from the rest.
  5. No Profile Picture

ah but years of experience differentiate those who are and those who arent...
    ...and i had other things in mind when i first began to create this post (i meant i needed some help finding some work)

anyway back to the original topic....
    im just looking for a way to make some money...and web design is something i know well and a skill only a few can learn easily
  7. No Profile Picture

also, i create every single web page i make by hand
    i make every image, every detail myself
    and i dont use anything like dreamweaver or frontpage
    i also dont use postnuke or postphp
    never have and more than likely never will unless i decide to manipulate it to my own needs
    i code everything from scratch with notepad or an advanced text editor such as the one in microsoft visual c++ (easier to read and organize)
  9. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

That's wonderful that you've learned HTML, PHP, etc, etc. Apprently though you've never learned how to correctly use a forum. As mentioned by another user, your subject is misleading (and not very descriptive either) for a thread in a technical forum. Worse than that, you've posted in three forums, none of which are the correct one.

My advice is to learn a little business sense so that you don't get ripped off any more. If you're serious about developing sites as a job, you should probably make your own website to showcase your work and allow others to contact you.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thumbs down

yeah ive already started on that recently
    but its not really on the top of my list of priorities

and for putting it in more than 1 forum...
    ...i did that to get it spread out and for more readers and users to see it and acknowledge it

and as for the subject...
    who gives a flying **** if its misleading or not
    its just one sentence fragment...****in dumb asses think they have to nitpick at every little detail
    i mean really...who gives a ****? its just a forum

next, about the business sense
    im 16 years old what do you expect?
    and i didnt exactly get ripped off...
    **** happens, people argue, and other **** doesnt happen (think about it)
    plus, i gaurantee that im a lot smarter than yourself or at least have way more potential...you old farts dont know **** about computers or at least you think you do
    you learn everything in a mechanically and structurally
    therefore, 99.9% of the time know only one way to do things
    i cant help it ive had the privilege of growing up around technology
    and i also gaurantee that i will be way ahead of you, in business and success, by the time im your age...not surfing the internet bitching to a 16 year old on a forum with a post count of over 3000

and i thank you for your advice
    but dude you dont have to be an ***
    or at least get your head out of your own
    i get sick and tired of old ****s like you thinking they have to pick at every little detail and meaningless error in a post just because they think theyre something
    it happens all the time man i swear

and next i bet youll comment on my "attitude" or "immaturity" or "young age"
    or better yet my lack of punctuation or grammatical accuracy
    (if you couldnt tell that was sarcasm/exaggeration)

seriously man get your head out of your ***
  13. No Profile Picture

oh and if you didnt intend to belittle me in anyway in your post...
    please excuse my little outburst
    i may have interpreted it incorrectly
  15. mod_dev_shed

LOL ... there was no offense intended, but I'll address your points anyway. You might be surprised at my responses.
    and for putting it in more than 1 forum...
    ...i did that to get it spread out and for more readers and users to see it and acknowledge it
    This was a pointer. If you post in the correct forum, you usually get more relevant answers. Posting in multiple forums, while you'd expect it to be seen more and thus get more responses, often prompts people to completely skip it.
    and as for the subject...
    Forum search results show a list of thread titles. The more descriptive the title, the faster everybody finds the answer to their question.
    next, about the business sense
    im 16 years old what do you expect?
    You're smart enough to learn programming and web technologies, I expect you to be smart enough to learn some basic business practices.
    plus, i gaurantee that im a lot smarter than yourself or at least have way more potential...you old farts dont know **** about computers or at least you think you do
    you learn everything in a mechanically and structurally
    therefore, 99.9% of the time know only one way to do things
    i cant help it ive had the privilege of growing up around technology
    and i also gaurantee that i will be way ahead of you, in business and success, by the time im your age...
    I actually agree with this part, at least partially. Each generation will know more than the previous about computers and technology as a whole. So keep in mind that when you're my age, this will apply to you as it applies to me.
    not surfing the internet bitching to a 16 year old on a forum with a post count of over 3000
    Just trying to answer your question.

BTW, I'm 23. Is that considered old? And I'm self-educated, so I didn't learn things in a structured environment like you think I did. Last thing: I like how you still managed to add a smiley face in there with all that swearing.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  17. Second highest poster :p

You know... I really wouldnt say that you have 5-6 years experience in something when you have only been doing it as a hobby. I have been working full time as a website developer and system admin for 3 years... and I can say that I would know more about developing websites than you. Working in a team with other web developers refines your skills and makes you a better programmer, learning from your peers. Also working in the industry many companies expect you to use industry standard tools, one of which is Dreamweaver. I learnt it and use it and its what most companies around here expect people to use.

Technology is constantly changing and what you said about the generations might be true but some things are still done the same as they always have been. I have worked with someone who taught themselves database design... they were fired due to their database falling to bits. These sorts of things are best learnt properly, I was taught database design when I went to tech college by an old French guy and now do database work full time. He was a great teacher and knew a lot.

I would keep an open mind and learn things from as many different souces. Do not put down older people and think you know more than them. You are blocking a valuable resource there, they do have a lot of experience and you can learn something from them.

Final note: I am 22, not what I would consider old and have been programming as a hobby since I was 12. Computers were a bit different back then... I had a 2Mhz Commodore machine and there was no internet to help us out. It was me and my programming books. I can say that was a lot harder back then learning something.
  19. No Profile Picture

ah

sorry if youve gotten offended

and yes i do respect everyone until they prove to me otherwise
    ...i know the older generations had it harder without the advanced technology...and ive already thought about future generations being better than me with this stuff...which to be honest im almost jealous about lol

also..i have used progs such dreamweaver [and swish,etc]...
    i just like the feeling of knowing i can do it myself

lastly...i know what should be learned in a certain way
    and what shouldnt
  21. Moderator Emeritus

Moved to Hire a Programmer. This is not a Web Design question.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo