1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programming Certs, a sweet portfolio, but no exp enough to work for Startup??

Would you hire someone or think startups or small software companies would hire someone with online certificates in PHP, CSS, HTML, JQuery, JAVA, Python, C++, etc, but they don't have much experience although they have a small portfolio of sample sites done for clients that are very well done? They also have a strong character and are very well to work with as part of a small team.

I have office experience and a college degree in Liberal Arts, but have always been interested in programming and web development. I love that the field is growing and that there is always an opportunity to be working on side projects. The personal growth also would be an amazing change. I've noticed that salaries and pay are an average of $15 K higher than in jobs typical for liberal arts graduates and I'm not sure it's worth the risk to go back to school all over again to get a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science.

I really want to be a web security professional or web programmer. I have the motivation and grit to push through all the learning obstacles, but I'm wondering if a startup would hire or prefer to hire someone creative from left field?

What do ya'll think?
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The only way to find out is to try. Get on monster, contact a recruiter, get your portfolio in front of a local startup. My company has a couple of developers without technical backgrounds, and our founder (and chief architect and original developer) got his college degree in music.

Your online certifications may not be worth much, unfortunately, but if your portfolio is good then give it a go.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo