1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner File/folder hierarchy books?

Hi Guys,
    I have been dabbling with learning Web Development for a while and I know some basics of HTML5, CSS3, and looked at a little bit of Javascript and PHP (albeit it really is a little on the latter!)

Anyway, one of the things which baffles me, is in all the books and such I read and have it tells you about the head body and footer information and where to put what and about inline and external CSS etc and this is all fine I can follow all these things fine and I understand the logic.
    But recently I had some work experience with a company who (mainly) use Wordpress sites. They download the themes (or upload their own) and modify to however they want to look. All this is fine and I understand it.
    I also have a couple of word press sites myself which I have the themes on my computer which I modify to practise my web development skills but the files for the themes are obviously a little more complicated than just 1 page with the head body and footer on and an external CSS file which these books have been teaching me, and it is all so integrated I was wondering if there is any good books or tutorials which help you understand these file structure/hierarchy.

Maybe I am just not using the right keywords but I can't seem to find anything through googling myself.

Thanks for any advise guys.
  3. No Profile Picture

hi ,
    What you actually looking for? I am not sure about your question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry I know I'm not all that clear.

Okay, so I have a website theme which I use on Wordpress. I have the folders and files on my laptop and I modify them on dreamweaver.

The folders are broken down in to folders such as CSS, Includes, Framework, images, JS, Lang. All of which contain numerous files, outside of these folders there are the main website files such as footer, header, functions, page, templates, style.css etc

My question is; is there a book which helps you understand what these all mean, what they do, how and why you should/shouldn't modify them.
    I know some of the basics bits but I don't always really understand everything about what I do or where I have done it to just hit and miss and it seems to have worked.

I appreciate each theme/framework etc is going to be slightly different depending on any extras which it does/doesn't have but generally speaking there has to be something somewhere which will help me understand how it all works.

Hope this has helped explain things a little better, sorry.

thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo