Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner to Web development?

Hi guys, I've really been wanting to learn how to develop websites lately as I've been doing graphic design for a few years now. From what I've gathered the best place to start is by learning HTML5, CSS and Javascript, is this true? If so where do I possibly begin as a beginner with no coding experience other then running basic forums. I' see tons and tons of books, but I don't know which one I should start off with, or is there a site or more preferably videos I could watch? Finally, I would start off learning HTML, then CSS and finally Javascript in that order?

Just really confused on how and where to start, any help is much appreciated. Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by blasteryui
    Hi guys, I've really been wanting to learn how to develop websites lately as I've been doing graphic design for a few years now. From what I've gathered the best place to start is by learning HTML5, CSS and Javascript, is this true? If so where do I possibly begin as a beginner with no coding experience other then running basic forums. I' see tons and tons of books, but I don't know which one I should start off with, or is there a site or more preferably videos I could watch? Finally, I would start off learning HTML, then CSS and finally Javascript in that order?

Just really confused on how and where to start, any help is much appreciated. Thank you
    The best place to start is the W3C School. Just Google it. HTML5 is the latest version of HTML. I'd also suggest HTML5 24-Hour Trainer by Joseph W. Lowery, Mark Fletcher to get you started on the basics. If you're not a big reader there is lynda[dot]com for video training.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by RodmanB
    The best place to start is the W3C School. Just Google it. HTML5 is the latest version of HTML. I'd also suggest HTML5 24-Hour Trainer by Joseph W. Lowery, Mark Fletcher to get you started on the basics. If you're not a big reader there is lynda[dot]com for video training.
    I checked the lynda site, which one would I start off with?

http://www(dot)lynda(dot)com/HTML-training-tutorials/224-0.html
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Learnable.com is another site that has courses.

Yes, it's generally best to start with HTML and CSS. Though you may want to start with HTML4 and CSS2, before you learn about the new things in HTML5 and CSS3, which are still under development and for which browser support is somewhat inconsistent.

Originally Posted by RodmanB
    The best place to start is the W3C School. Just Google it.
    Don't let the "W3" in the names confuse you! W3C and W3Schools are two completely separate organizations. "W3" is simply another way to write "WWW", which is short for "world wide web". I recommend you check this out: W3Fools: A W3Schools Intervention
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture

HTML Training

I checked the lynda site, which one would I start off with?

http://www(dot)lynda(dot)com/HTML-training-tutorials/224-0.html
    1st HTML Essential Training (2012) and then probably
    2nd HTML5: Structure, Syntax, and Semantics

You need basic HTML first. Once you understand basic markup is when you need to learn the new HTML5 structure.

Be patient, this is not something you'll learn overnight. I've been doing this for 15+ years and I still learn new things almost every day.
  11. No Profile Picture

first of all u do install macromedia dreamwever and on them you make your first page in html 5. after that u just put some css code on them to make site feel and good and in last u go for javascipt becuse java script take too much time to learn but before the javacript u first focus on html5 and css2.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 24th, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: replaced the link to w3schools.com
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by php_developer00
    ...after that u just put some css code on them to make site feel and good...
    Hahahaha
  15. For POny!

Buy a good book about html & css (oreilly prolly has a few, Head first series tend to be fun I have heared).
    Skip all online tutorials, they pretty much all teach you bad coding.
    Dont use a wysiwyg(what you see is what you get) editor. They all suck and produce very redundant code.
    Just get a free IDE like for instance netbeans. instal wamp, and open the book, start at the beginning.

Have fun!
  17. No Profile Picture

For webdesign you start with HTML and css,
    Webdevelopment: PHP and MySql.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 24th, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: removed link to w3schools.com
  19. No Profile Picture

So many answers :P so HTML and CSS are just for web design? You're not actually creating a website? PHP and Mysql are for actually having a site running? Now I'm really confusedo n where to start
  21. For POny!

So many answers :P so HTML and CSS are just for web design? You're not actually creating a website? PHP and Mysql are for actually having a site running? Now I'm really confusedo n where to start
    If you've read the comments, you would have known that you should start with html + css

What your browser is displaying is html. the looks of that are changed by css.

Php allows you to make the site more dynamic, and maybe automate certain processes. But Php spits out html out to your browser as well. Thats why you need to know html first. Otherwise you are basejumping when you have never used a parachute before. Quite of a steep learning curve. Even deadly

So just buy a book and start!
  23. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Take a breath. Yes, there's whole wide world to web design and development. Don't worry, there's no need to learn everything at once.

HTML and CSS are used to make the page that you actually see. PHP and MySQL are one pair of server-side language and database management system technologies that can be used to allow larger, more complex sites to be feasible.

To give you a more specific suggestion than my first reply, Build Your First Website: Getting Started with HTML & CSS would be a good choice of a place to start.

If you would like to read an online tutorial, Learn HTML and CSS: An Absolute Beginner's Guide is a good one.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 24th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Take a breath. Yes, there's whole wide world to web design and development. Don't worry, there's no need to learn everything at once.

HTML and CSS are used to make the page that you actually see. PHP and MySQL are one pair of server-side language and database management system technologies that can be used to allow larger, more complex sites to be feasible.

To give you a more specific suggestion than my first reply, would be a good choice of a place to start.

If you would like to read an online tutorial,is a good one.
    The bottom one is free I'm guessing. I don't mind paying for the video one if it's worth it, or will I get the same material out of the second link.
  27. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

The bottom one is free I'm guessing. I don't mind paying for the video one if it's worth it, or will I get the same material out of the second link.
    Yes, the latter one is free. They cover a lot of the same material. The main difference, other than the format of the material, is that the Learnable course has been updated a little.

29. No Profile Picture

Smile

Hi Blasteryui,

Learning anything is so much easy but we get perfection and confidence only when we are done lots of practice upon it. Here, i will recommend you youtube where you are able to watch and listen web design tutorial and anything else related to it.

If you want to read some web design articles visits: http://webtechtouch.blogspot.in/

Comments on this post

• henryjames agrees
    Last edited by Kravvitz; September 28th, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: removed link to w3schools.com
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo